Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dan Mayhew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2016, 10:16 AM
    On a single story home are the beams that hold up the ceiling structurely neededyg
    I bought a mountain cabin and I want to remove the 8 foot ceiling to expose the attic for a more open look. There are many beams spanning the room holding up the ceiling. Can these beams be safely removed without sacrificing the structural integrity of the cabin ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2016, 11:24 AM
    Impossible to guess which if any can be removed without pictures as it is completely dependent on the design and construction of your roof.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Aug 24, 2016, 11:53 AM
    I am going to side with a "NO" group if there is one. The beams are there for more than holding up the ceiling. They are there to hold the walls in place and to keep the roof from deciding to collapse. Just my thoughts on it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 24, 2016, 12:46 PM
    Never having built a home, but common sense would say that yes the beams are there for HOLDING UP THE HOUSE AND NOT ONLY THE CEILING.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 24, 2016, 01:30 PM
    Draw a diagram of the room with all measurements including width/height/length of the 'beams.' They aren't beams. One or two big ones might be. They are ceiling joists, mainly for attaching 4 x 8 drywall and filling with insulation - but depending on the way the roof is built, they could serve as collar ties, which as their name suggests, help the BEAMS tie the walls together to keep the massive weight of the roof from spreading the walls out sideways.
    Attached Images

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2016, 01:48 PM
    The beam are most likely supporting joists that are actually supporting the roof. If those beams are load bearing, then you risk the cabin collapsing.

I would not remove anything without checking with a structural engineer.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2016, 02:39 PM
    If the roof structure is a truss, depending on the span, you MAY be able to remove them. If a truss, you can install a strong back and that would also help. First, you need to determine how the roof structure is built.

After rereading your post, those "beams" may just be ornamental if there are "many". Post a picture so we can better understand.

We did
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2016, 02:42 PM
    I have a suggestion. Instead of removing the beams, open the ceiling and leave the beams in place. You can cover them to fit with the rest of the cabin, or paint them. It would still open up the space but wouldn't compromise the integrity of the structure.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Aug 24, 2016, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Draw a diagram of the room with all measurements including width/height/length of the 'beams.' They aren't beams. One or two big ones might be. They are ceiling joists, mainly for attaching 4 x 8 drywall and filling with insulation - but depending on the way the roof is built, they could serve as collar ties, which as their name suggests, help the BEAMS tie the walls together to keep the massive weight of the roof from spreading the walls out sideways.
    How about down sizing your picture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I get a two stage heating unit for a single story 3 bedroom home? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in South Carolina - it's currently 19 degrees out and during the summer it can be up to 100+ degrees, I need a new unit but I'm not sure if a 2 stage unit is necessary - I have a single stage unit now - and it works okay, but I have some return issues - If I get another return installed and...

Single hvac for 2 story home [ 6 Answers ]

We are looking at purchasing a new home. Is a single system enough to cool a 2900 sq ft 2 story home? It looks like it is a newer (and large) 13 seer unit. Is it possible to convert an older home (20+ years) to zoned? Thank you! Al

Can I lay ceramic on ceiling with liquid nail single story house? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I lay ceramic on ceiling with liquid nail single story house?

Can I use liquid nail to install ceramic tile to ceiling it's a single story home? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use liquid nail to install ceramic tile to ceiling it's a single story home?

Low flow of air out from the ducts of a single story home [ 1 Answers ]

My house is a single story of 1700 sf of inside living space. Due to constant high gas montly bill of $ 240.00 and considering that that I keep the internal temperature from to 62 F to 64F , I found out that all the ducts do not provide an adeguate flow of war air in all rooms . So this is the...

View more questions Search