Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2016, 04:56 AM
    Form 8854 & non - LTR
    Hi

I am Green Card Holder. I got it in 2010. From 2012, I have been living outside the United States. So I don't qualify as a Long Term Resident.

I am thinking of abandoning my green card. Since I am not LTR, do I have to file Form 8854?

Regards
    Sri
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 23, 2016, 06:55 AM
    No; Form 8854 is NOT required.

All you would file is a final tax return with a Residency Termination Statement in the year you surrender the green card.

Note that until you DO surrender that green card, an annual tax return IS required irrespective of your physical location.

Aug 23, 2016, 08:49 AM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert.

1) Let us assume that I abandon green card but my wife does not. I think I can still file 1040 declaring myself as a "Non-resident spouse treated as resident" and declaring my global income. Am I right?

2) One of my friends green card was taken away in 2014 when he visited US as he has been residing outside US. He was non-LTR. He did not file Residency Termination statement along with his 2014 1040 return. Can he file an amendment and send the statement or is there a way to just send the statement without amendment 1040x?

Thanks in advance
    Sri
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 23, 2016, 10:17 AM
    1) Correct.

2) The Residency Termination Statement can be mailed by itself. In fact, most such statements ARE mailed by themselves.

Aug 23, 2016, 10:41 AM
    Thanks again AtlantaTaxExpert.

Sri
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 23, 2016, 11:03 AM
    Glad to help!

Oct 31, 2017, 09:28 AM
    Hi ATE,

My friend had filed Termination of Residency statement since he had green card for less than 8 years before abandoning it. However, IRS has asked him to file 8854 as well. It is confusing as the instructions for 8854 clearly says otherwise. What do you think?

Regards
    Sri
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 31, 2017, 10:06 AM
    You probably got a standard computer-generated letter, which I would have to see to properly evaluate your requirements.

If you want to send me the letter, email it to me using the email address on my profile.

Oct 31, 2017, 11:35 AM
    Thanks ATE. I have asked my friend to contact you.

Regards
    Sri

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want LTR with the boy [ 14 Answers ]

Hello to all !I am 22 years old girl. My brothers friend likes me and I like him too as he is really a good boy.My mother doesn't allow me to meet him nor my brother(Narrow minded). The boy is asking me to go out because he wants to know me more. I do want to go but I am confused that should I go...

LTR Breakup. What's appropriate to move on? [ 29 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, It's my first post here and I've been playing things in my head for so long, I thought I'd just get it out there.. at the risk of getting eaten alive by the cyber world, I thought it'd be worth at least getting it out of my head! Brief synopsis: After a 5 yr relationship, I...

Which line of section V of the 8854 form do I use [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I recently moved from US to EU after being a long term permanent resident. I have a 401k which I will not be cashing in. I have to file form 8854. Which line of section V of the 8854 form do I use to list the 401k asset. How is the cost basis (column b) figured out? Thanks

I think I'm in love with the other while in a LTR [ 1 Answers ]

I'm with my boyfriend for 3 years and we do have problems now and then so I don't know if it is because of that or what. Long story short, I've never been with that guy, I haven't even seen him in years, but he's on my mind almost every day. When I hear a song it reminds me of him, when I think...

Form 8854 [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with IRS form 8854? This form has to be filled by US citizens or, as in my case, by residents who leave permanently US and move abroad. I have read the instructions but there are a few points that I do not get. Does anyone that fills this form for the first time have...

View more questions Search