Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smckeown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Accounting for gift cards
    I was wondering how you would account for a free gift card given out by a company. How do you record this transaction on the books ex: you give out a free $30 gift card if someone spends over $100.
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Apr 14, 2007, 08:02 PM
    I would probably include the $30 given away as a selling or misc. expense. I guess you gave away a gift card for $30, then they ended up buying over $100 in merchandise (which is the whole idea behind gift cards).

When the gift card was given away:
    Dr. Expense $30
    Cr. Gift Card Liability $30 (sense you are obligated to provide a product).

Then when they use the card (assume they bought $150 worth of goods):

Dr. Cash received from sale $120
    Dr. Gift Card Liability $30
    Cr. Sales Revenue $150

Of course if you sold a gift card, you would have debited cash instead of an expense. Your sales revenue will remain the same, but your total revenue will be reduced since you incurred an expense when you gave away the gift card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone take you to court over a gift? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to help out a friend here. A woman that he was involved with and now has broken up with sent him a certified letter stating that he needed to appear before a magistrate. She is claiming that he promised her some items as gifts. In the letter she states what the items are and what she...

Gift Ideas? [ 2 Answers ]

What is a good gift for a goth girl? :confused: P.S Im meeting her tonight I need a surprise gift for her then I can talk to her 2 know more about her

Wrong Gift! [ 20 Answers ]

Wrong Gift! :confused: If I receive a gift which I didn't like / not to my taste, Should I keep mum so not to heart the feelings of person who has given me the gift? Or Should I tell the person that I did't like his/her gift without hearting his/her feelings... how? (If I keep mum then what...

How not to use an inappropriate gift [ 9 Answers ]

Hello All, I would like some advice on how not to hurt a friend's feelings about a gift she gave me. She gave me a new purse for Christmas, which is not one I would ordinarily choose to use. It's a child's wallet so doesn't fit all my cards properly (and I don't have more than I need). ...

Gift for the nun who has everything... [ 8 Answers ]

I wasn't sure whether to put this topic in etiquette or religion, but I thought in religion people might know more about nuns, so... One of the Sisters who taught at my boarding school had cancer and beat it! I was just invited to a party to celebrate. I was not asked to bring a gift, but this...

View more questions Search