Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giamonique Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Basement Bathroom-Need Rough-In
    My husband and I are purchasing a home in the country. We are going to finish to the basement. We have a sump pump, well water, and no rough-in. Would you please tell me what type of work we are looking at as far as labor and cost, (estimate), for the rough-in? We are only looking to install a sink and toilet.

Thanks!
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Apr 14, 2007, 07:29 PM
    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but to quote the "Tom's Tips" thread:

6. It's difficult to estimate material and labor on your job without a wholesalers price list and the labor conditions, (union or nonunion) in your area so we don't attempt to do so.

So you're going to have to get some old-fashioned estimates from local contractors. I would guess upwards of $750 at the very least... :(

As far as doing it yourself is concerned, busting up the concrete slab floor of the basement is a big job, and is not for the faint of heart. Although if you want to do it anyway, post back here, and we'll go through some details.

Good luck,
    Moishe

Note: if this post was helpful, please rate it by clicking "Rate This Answer" below. Thank you.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Apr 15, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Giamonique replied to me by email:

HI! Thanks for the quick reply. I will get some estimates. It sounds like a huge job... we were just starting to search for tips last night and it is seeming like too big of a job for the two of us. We are not experts in plumbing... only have replaced the handle on our toilet. :)
    It's not really so much a matter of being fluent in plumbing (at least until you get the floor open). It's more of a matter of serious elbow grease - there's a significant amount of physical labor involved in busting open concrete (hint: unless you have a cement saw - and even then it's not so simple - we're talking about drilling a bunch of pilot holes in the concrete, and then attacking it with one of mankind's best toys: a 22-pount, 3-foot-long sledgehammer :D).

Either way, if you want to learn more about plumbing so that you can do almost all future repairs yourself (or even if you have to hire a professional, at least you'll be familiar enough with the subject to realize if he's trying to rip you off), go to the nearest Home Depot, and purchase this book:

It's relatively cheap compared to other plumbing books, and is very beginner-friendly. If you want other plumbing book recommendations - or books on any other home improvement topic, for that matter - just ask.

Happy plumbing, and if you ever have any problem whatsoever, drop a line in these forums, and I, speedball1 (who is a retired master plumber with over 50 years of experience), or any of the others in our gang will be happy to help. We don't bite. I promise. ;)

Although it's better not to email or IM us directly - rather post the question in the forum, where it belongs, so that others who may have the same problem may follow along and benefit from the discussion. Besides, you may also get the benefit of a "second opinion" sometimes. ;)

Wishing you the best of luck with your new home,
    Moishe
    Note: if this post was helpful, please rate it by clicking "Rate This Answer" below. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Bathroom Rough-in [ 9 Answers ]

My house (approx 15 yrs old) has a basement bathroom rough-in. It has 3 pipes protruding, one is 4" in diameter, one is 1 3/4" (inside dia.) & the other is 2" in diameter. Assuming, one (4") is for the toilet, one (1 3/4") is for the shower vent and the other (2") is for the shower drain. The...

Basement Bathroom Rough-In [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a new home which has a bathroom roughed in the concrete floor of the basement. The dimension for the toilet is 15 inches, which means I can use a 2x4 wall. However the drain pipe for the bath tub from the same wall is 59 inches. I think this is a problem for a 2x4 wall because...

Basement Bathroom Rough-in [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a 2 piece rough-in for my basement, but I also want to put in a bathtub. The rough-in includes a 3" abs stub out for the toilet and a 1 1/2" stub out drain that is vented. I'm going to have to break into the concrete... where is the best place to drain into (p trap then into the 3",...

Basement bathroom rough in [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting our basement developed and have a question with regards to roughing in for a bathroom. We have a heated floor and wish to put our bathroom in a different location than what was originally roughed in for. We have had a couple of plumbers advise us against doing this...

Basement Bathroom - NO ROUGH IN [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are finishing our basement and the previous owners didn't fork up the money for a rough in. We're only putting in a toilet and sink. The house is only 5 year old. My questions are: "What are our options for putting in a toilet? Do we have to break up the concrete? What is...

View more questions Search