Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shirma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Hot water in cold water taps
    When we open a cold water tap the first water is cool and then it gets almost hot before we receive any cold water - what would cause this situation?
    Christopher_amatulli Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Apr 14, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Sounds like you have either a hot water pipe next to a cold water pipe, and it takes a few seconds to cool it down... or the pipe runs across the roofline or against a south wall that the water has gotten heated up in...
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Apr 14, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Just to elaborate a bit on what Chris was saying: the pipe between the water main and the sink are always full of water. If that pipe passes through a very hot area (such as right near a furnace), the water sitting in the pipe at that location can get very hot. Then, when you turn on the sink and the water starts moving, that burst of hot water needs to be "flushed out" before the new, colder, water can come through. As long as the water is moving, it will stay cold. When you shut the water, however, it comes to a stop, and whichever part of the water is near the heat source begins to heat up again, and the process repeats itself...

Hope this helps,
    Moishe
    Note: if this post was helpful, please rate it by clicking "Rate this Answer!" below. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radiators hot but hot water from taps luke warm [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, First of all I am novice.. a real novice when it comes to plumbing, so please be easy on me :) I hope someone can shed some light on this weird problem. I have a conventional boiler with a hot water tank in the bathroom and 2 tanks in the loft. The radiators in the house are fine, they...

Water not flowing through hot water taps [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a house and I have had problems with a faulty ball cock valve in the water tank which I have replaced because it was not filling the tank at the correct rate. I have managed to get the water flowing through the cold taps but not the hot water taps. Is there a procedure for doing this. ...

No water from hot water taps [ 2 Answers ]

We are fixing up a 60 year old house. We had hot water until yesterday. The cold water is fine. The temps outside are below zero. Part of the wall in the bathroom is torn out and we can see a large hole where the drain pipe goes to the crawl space and cold air is coming into the bathroom. ...

Help no water from hot water taps [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I managed to put a nail through a central heating pipe today and had a wee leak, in a panic turned everything off, every stop cock I could find in the hot water cupboard and the mains etc, repaired the leak by draining the heating system and turned everything back on. Great except that we have...

Hot water from cold taps when HW recirculator on [ 12 Answers ]

My hot water recirculator is on a timer, and whenever it is on, hot water comes from the cold taps. After a minute or so, the cold water starts coming out. Any chance this is something I can fix myself (I'm a total novice) If I do have to call a plumber, are there any things I can find out...

View more questions Search