Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kamstl7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Work and live in one state and paycheck comes from another state
    I receive my paycheck from PA but do not live or work in that state yet. May relocate soon. Should they be deducting PA taxes from my check?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 06:08 PM
    I would say no, for example for 4 years I worked for a company that was based in FL, But I worked only in TN and normally worked out of my home. So they only withheld TN taxes.

And likewise, they had employees in every state in the union and they held out the taxes for the state they were working in, not the place where the home office was located.

So if you are working in another state ( you did not say where you were living and working) if you do work for them in another state, and are based out of that state, your taxes should be from that state.

If you are considered based out of PA and that is where your job is normally located, and you are only temp in another state, they could be holding PA taxes since that is where they consider you employed at.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Agree, though I am curious how they withheld TN taxes when TN has NO state income tax!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NY state Resident work in New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need to file both state taxes as well?

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

Consulting work and state W2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I work as a IT consultant for an company based in TN (No State Tax). I move every few months to different states and get W2 for those states. For 2006, I received W2 from CA, CO & NJ. My question for you guru's is that- Is my company doing the right thing? Can I just get one W2 of TN...

Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based...

View more questions Search