Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soccerboy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2016, 09:18 AM
    Employment Background Records
    In 2014 at a NY State college I was fired. I was sent a notice in the mail that I was fired due to two separate substantiated claims; one of 'sexual harassment' and the other of 'improper use of school computer.' Now that I am looking for a job I am wondering if this will appear on ANY record a potential employer may search.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 31, 2016, 10:20 AM
    Search online, no, unless police/courts were involved.
    Call and ask, potentially. Such information is given out at the discretion of the employer.
    Most employers have policy regarding what is given out, and you can ask anonymously. Ask in the positive, not the negative.
    These days, employers tend to give out less and less because they don't want the liability. Some won't even say if you were fired or quit. They might give dates employed and positions held, and that's it.

Of course none of this applies to gov't jobs requiring security clearance.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2016, 12:47 PM
    If anything does shows up with Sexual Harassment, you will not get the job, particularly at a school..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2016, 07:24 AM
    It is unlikely that the specifics of why you were fired will show up on a background check. But the fact that you worked there, maybe even that you were fired, will show up on a report.

You will need to be prepared to explain these issues.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2016, 09:03 AM
    You don't say what the nature of the harassment was - you can be fired for offensive "harassment" behavior that does not rise to a criminal level. If the police were never notified then there is no official record other than what may be in your personnel file, but in general most employers won't share that information - too big a risk for a lawsuit. However, if the police were notified then it's possible for your new employer to find that out, even if you were never convicted.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 1, 2016, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    You don't say what the nature of the harassment was
    The OP stated it was sexual harassment.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2016, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    The OP stated it was sexual harassment.
    True, but sexual harassment in the work place can consist of things like inappropriate jokes, or using offensive images for your screensaver, or inappropriate comments to someone about their body, or pressuring a subordinate for sexual favors. These are all sexual harassment offenses that can get you fired, but are not criminal in nature and would not be reported to the police.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-Employment Background Checks - Military Records [ 1 Answers ]

I was honorably disharged from the Army, but I had an Art 15 (Non-Judicial Punishment) for "Illegal Use f Hallucinogen". NJPs are an administrative action OUTSIDE of the legal system. It is not a misdemeanor, nor is it a felony. It is a mechanism whereby the military can punish its own without...

Employment Background Checks [ 1 Answers ]

Thirteen to fifteen years ago, I had several DUIs within a period of a couple of years. I was going through a divorce and on those occasions acted irresponsibly. How long do employment background checks go back for a job working for the state in the state of Georgia?

Background Check / Employment [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everybody, First of all, I am so glad to find such a great forum! As of now, I work at this company as Electrical Engineer Intern since Aug 07. I do graduate this Dec with Bsc in Electrical Engineering. My bad luck, not too long ago (weeks ago) got convicted to drug paraphernalia...

Employment background checks [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of having a new potential employer (for a call center supervisor) conduct a background check. I have an IRS bill, will they see this and deny me a job because of my bill? It's a telecommunications company.

Background search for employment [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested in college for a misdemeanor, my lawyer suggested I apply for an ARD that way my record would be clean after a short probation period. Now 3 years later the state of Pennsylvania indicates that I do not have a criminal record but when I applied for a job the potential employer said...

View more questions Search