Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maarten Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 05:24 PM
    What spider is this?
    Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this is?
    Location is Brazil, Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte
    They told me this kind of spider lives in cold places in the back of the house.

Many thanks
    Attached Images

RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 05:38 PM
    It is a species of tarantula. There are many different species of this large hairy spider. Not sure which one it is. Here are some links to info about Tarantulas. If this is in your house, be very careful. You may want to call your local wildlife control to remove it or to instruct you on how to move it without getting bitten.

Tarantulas.com
    Tarantula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    National Geographic: Tarantulas
    Maarten Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Thanks for the information.
    Looking at the pictures on these websites and the Portuguese wikipedia information, I think it is a Lasiodora parahybana, Brazilian Salmon Pink Tarantula.
    Can anyone confirm this?

Wikipedia:
    A Caranguejeira Comedora de Pássaros Salmão Rosa Brasileira (Lasiodora parahybana), não muito se difere das outras tarântulas. Tem o nome pela sua coloração rosa, e por ser originária do Brasil, mais especificamente o nordeste brasileiro.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Hi maarten. Your picture was a bit fuzzy so I was a bit reticent to try to name it. I believe that there is a VERY good possibility that it is a Brazilian Pink Birdeater. There are just so many different kinds of tarantulas that look similar, without a really sharp image, it does make it difficult to completely confirm. Here are some other pics of one and other info for you to look at.

Brazilian Salmon Pink Tarantula Lasiodora parahybana

Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater :: Saint Louis Zoo

Caresheets : Tarantulas - petbugs.com

The Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater
    chase22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 02:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this is?
    Location is Brazil, Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte
    They told me this kind of spider lives in cold places in the back of the house.

Many thanks
    Aup , to me this looks like (Grammostola actaeon) the brazilian red rump aka the brazilian wooly black but I can't be 100% sure because the pik isn't the best quality lol

Can anyone confirm??
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 02:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chase22 View Post
    aup , to me this looks like (Grammostola actaeon) the brazilian red rump aka the brazilian wooly black but i can't be 100% sure coz the pik aint the best quality lol

can anyone confirm???
    Image Search Results
    It does look like one.

Please remember to avoid using chat speak and textwords on an international site as non-English speakers and translation software can have difficulties understanding you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spider Bite? [ 4 Answers ]

I have what I think may be a spider bite on the inside of my leg. Yesterday evening I noticed that my upper leg hurt so I lifted my pant leg. I have what looks like a large zit with a black dot in the middle. It's very painful and feels hard like a peanut M & M. It's itchy at times. The main part...

What kind of spider is this? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi can anyone please help me to ID this spider that I caught in my house its huge it could be a giant house spider or a male hobo spider. I'm not sure though I would be gratefull for a second opinion.

View more questions Search