Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fjbeiss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2016, 08:24 AM
    Can I open bearing wall in basement by doubling beam?
    I have a bearing wall in my basement I'd like to open up completely. Can I bolt a secondary 2x10 beam to it and toenail supports into the existing outer walls? It is a 15 foot span with no wall above it, but it does support all floor joists on that side. I can send a pics if necessary.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2016, 09:57 AM
    You should get a construction engineer to check what is needed. All bearing has to be on the sill and you will probably need a steel plate the length of existing beam

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 30, 2016, 12:34 PM
    I pretty much agree with Chuck. This must be a center wall, right? Depending on when it was built that wall is not load bearing but likely has a support column iniside it. Picture would ne nice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

Grade beam or load bearing wall [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the planning stage for our new house, and we're going with a permanent wood foundation. This is a full basement. I have two choices, I can go with your standard built up lumber grade beam for the house with teleposts (columns), or I can build a load bearing wall in the basement. ...

Replacing a load bearing wall with an engineered beam. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a load bearing wall between two living areas that I would like to remove to create one large space. I would like to do it without the beam exposed in the area. My question is can the ceiling joists be cut and reattached to the beam using joist hangers? I understand that there would have to...

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

View more questions Search