Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Balnafasae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2016, 12:34 AM
    Split Ac outdoor unit growling rattling sound on startup
    Hello, I have a 1 ton split ac unit which I bought 2 months back. It not used much. In recent days when I turn on the system, the outdoor unit makes a rumbling and rattling noise like a trunk in wrong gear!! After 5-10 seconds it becomes silent and works well. This problem arises only when I turn on the system after a long break of time ( more than 24 hours) if I turn off the system and turn in on after few hours it starts without any unwanted sounds... Im wondering if there is some problem with the piping and refrigerant or valves or capacitor?. the chance of bad motor is ruled out as it runs like a charm after that initial rattling start up.. I'm just wondering what would be the problem and how serious it can be ? Can it pose problems in long term? Should I call a technician asap? Thanks in advance
    Shifftali Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2016, 07:52 PM
    Inspect the cage around the unit, perhaps there's part of the cage that's rattling (it happened to mine), and then perhaps when the rattle reaches its resonant frequency it stops...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rattling sound in spin cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I removed the pump and motor and found nothing apparent. When the washer cycle go into spin mode it makes a bad rattling sound thought out the spin cycle. Water does pump out and tub spins. Kenmore Elite Washer Model 110.16982500 THANKS

Furnace 4 yrs old began rattling sound then changed to muffled sound after 2 days [ 0 Answers ]

My gas HVAC Goodman furnace started making loud rattle sound. After a couple of days changed to a muffled sound. When starting up on AC it sounds much louder then goes into the muffled sound. What could this be? Unit is 4-5 yrs old. Noise in coming through return.

Transport outdoor unit of mini split AC on its side or upright? [ 1 Answers ]

Need to transport Sanyo mini splits by pickup to our house in Mexico. Could they lie on their side for a 4 day trip or do they have to be upright?

Rattling / snorting sound when excelerating [ 1 Answers ]

When excelerating I hear a rattling/sorting type sound. What can I tell my mechanic to check because of course when I took it in to the shop the guy didn't hear anything. Thanks

Outdoor unit is making a knocking noise prior to startup? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm getting cold air just fine -- but sometimes it makes a sound like somebody's knocking on the side of the house for about 15-20 seconds prior to startup:confused: I initially thought it was the fan hitting something... but the fan isn't even running when the noise is occurring?

View more questions Search