Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colette123 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2016, 07:38 AM
    I am pregnant
    So I had sex around June. I am not trying to get pregnant. I used protection and I am 100 % sure the condom didn't break. So the next day I woke up feeling sick, not throwing up but feeling sick. So it's been around 5 to 6 weeks and I decided to take a pregnancy test. So I took the test in the morning afternoon and night and it all came out negative. Now I took an early response pregnancy test and I had no idea I was suppose to take it 5 days before my period. I have irregular periods so I had no idea when I was going to have my next period so I took the early response pregnancy test. Now my question is can I be pregnant since I took an early response pregnancy test without knowing when my period was going to come.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 08:29 AM
    You could be pregnant just from having sex, protected or not. No birth control is 100%. NONE, but you can test again in a few days with another Home Pregnancy Test kit, and go from there. You may as well relax, and wait for further testing results, or that irregular period to arrive.

Waiting is the hard part and being irregular doesn't help, but stressing does no good either. So don't get panicked by those "symptoms" which could be ANYTHING. Just test AGAIN in a day or two.. or 3... or 4 as a missed period is the most reliable symptom, and a doctor visit is the best confirmation one way or another.

Good luck.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2016, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by colette123 View Post
    So I had sex around June. I am not trying to get pregnant. I used protection and I am 100 % sure the condom didn't break. So the next day I woke up feeling sick, not throwing up but feeling sick. So it's been around 5 to 6 weeks and I decided to take a pregnancy test. So I took the test in the morning afternoon and night and it all came out negative. Now I took an early response pregnancy test and I had no idea I was suppose to take it 5 days before my period. I have irregular periods so I had no idea when I was going to have my next period so I took the early response pregnancy test. Now my question is can I be pregnant since I took an early response pregnancy test without knowing when my period was going to come.
    You wasted those tests... they should ONLY ever be taken right after you wake up in the morning using the first urine of that day. Not surprised they resulted with a negative even if you were.

Typically you get the best results 2 weeks after an overdue period.

But since you are irregular and you say its 5- 6 weeks after the event... at 6 weeks you can safely assume the 2 weeks late figure.

BUT, you HAVE to take them at the correct time of day (right after you wake up, or you wait until the next morning), and ONLY read them within the time window explained with the product.

Is it possible you are? Certainly... Condoms aren't 100% effective even if they don't break, and much less so if used incorrectly.

But based on what you have said.. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet. Take another test in the AM.. on the date that was 6 weeks after the event.

Sure you might get a valid response sooner... but that's the commonly accepted point of when you will start to get the most accurate results.

With that said... there are always a few women that will still test negative for several months.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2016, 05:02 PM
    There are a number of reasons you might feel some nausea. When you woke up feeling sick, was it the day after you had sex? If so, you wouldn't be pregnant that quickly, so you wouldn't feel sick due to pregnancy.

It's unlikely you are pregnant from June if you've recently had a negative test result. If you want some peace of mind, try a test once a week, following the directions carefully, until you have another period.

Or, just see your doctor about having a blood test done to know without having to wait for a period.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 06:45 PM
    Nausea a day after having sex would not indicate pregnancy. At that point you would not even be pregnant. It takes a while for sperm to meet egg, penetrate egg, implant, and then make a viable pregnancy.

Early response can be used at any time, it doesn't have to be used 5 days before your period, and frankly, testing before your period, no matter what test you use, is not a very accurate method of testing.

The best time to test is first thing in the morning, with the first pee of the day. Follow the directions exactly, look at the results in the allotted time.

If it's been 5-6 weeks since you had sex and you got pregnant from that encounter, you should be getting a reliable result with a pregnancy test. But, not all women get accurate results with a home test. If you're worried, see your doctor for a more accurate blood test.

Oh darn, I just read the other replies and realize I said the same thing Doula did. Well, it's good advice, and true advice, so of course we both gave it. :)

Good luck.

Jul 28, 2016, 09:54 PM
    I am confused?
    How long does spotting last? Do you feel any cramps or pain? Is it light and it is suppose to be dark red and brown?

Jul 28, 2016, 10:13 PM
    Spotting... then period?
    Is it possible to have spotting then have your period?
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2016, 04:35 AM
    It may depend on the reasoning for it. Is this postpartum, premenstrual, post period, the use of hormonal birth control, perimenopausal, etc? For example, some women will have a bit of spotting just before a period and for a short time after a period ends.

If it is out of the ordinary for you, and continues, you might want to visit your gynecologist.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2016, 04:36 AM
    Yes... many women will have a bit of spotting just prior to a period starting.
    Precious7 Posts: 333, Reputation: 61

Jul 29, 2016, 10:14 AM
    Spotting could also be the result of Implantation. As your previous post you have asked about pregnancy, I would recommend taking pregnancy test again and visiting doctor.

Jul 31, 2016, 11:30 PM
    Is it okay?
    I took a pregnancy test around 2:16 AM and it came out negative. IS that okay since it was in the AM? I mean it was my first urine when I woke up which was 2:16 am so is it okay or should have I waited till the morning.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2016, 06:51 AM
    Is 2:16 am the time you wake up to start your day after sleeping? Meaning is that when you wake up from 6-8 hours of sleep normally?

Aug 1, 2016, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Is 2:16 am the time you wake up to start your day after sleeping? Meaning is that when you wake up from 6-8 hours of sleep normally?
    Yeah it's normally when I start my day, because I go to bed around 6 pm
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2016, 07:23 AM
    Then yes... that would be the best time for you to take a test. And you take it the first time you pee after you wake up. The hormones it tests for will be most concentrated at that time and easiest to detect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 Positive pregnant Test, 3 negative pregnant Tests, and 2 weeks late [ 13 Answers ]

I took a HPT the day after my missed period and it was positive. It was a digital first response. The next week I took 3 more tests and all were negative. I still have symptoms and I am now 2 weeks late on my period. I have a doctor's visit scheduled for the day that I would be 4 weeks late. ...

4th pregnant chance with previous history of blood clot during pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if it is safe to have a 4th pregnancy with a history of blood clot in my 2nd pregnancy at 30 week? Should I see a gyne?

3 faint positive pregnant.test 2 negative -am I pregnant [ 6 Answers ]

I have taken 5 pregnancy test 3 (were pos.)of which are the same brand and the other two are the same. I had actually thrown the positive ones in the trash before they turned positive. They are faint lines but noticeable. I had one day of brown discharge the day before I expected my period which...

Could I be pregnant even after negative pregnant test when nuvaring taken out early? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question to ask: So here's the history.I had a period and went to the OBGYN so that I could start Birth control. I started the Nuvaring in on September 1st, which was the last day of my period, I had gotten it Aug 28. I had sex and used a condom on the 1st. But then I didn't wait the 7...

View more questions Search