Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    urbisoler Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Viewpoint Characterization
    Sir/Madam - In writing fiction (a novel), is it permissible to utilize First Person - Subjective and Third Person -Subjective in separate chapters and if not, why not?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 16, 2007, 03:01 PM
    I once had a film class where our teacher - a practicing film maker - told us the following:

"Know and understand all the rules. Then break them if you need to to achieve what you want."

I've applied that to many things in my life - including my writing. I have a style and manner of writing that works. Some people may argue technicalities with me, but my writing achieves what I want.

I think that if you know why you are changing person between chapters of your novel, and doing so achieves the result you want, there's no reason to be concerned about what "some" others may think.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 03:03 PM
    You can change from first to second to third person in different chapters - just do not do that in the same sentence. You do not want to lose your reading audience.
    urbisoler Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
    I think that if you know why you are changing person between chapters of your novel, and doing so achieves the result you want, there's no reason to be concerned about what "some" others may think.[/QUOTE]

The primary reason for doing so is to avoid the monotony of "I, me & my" throughout the entire novel. It seems natural to change voice but my instructor (long deceased) warned me otherwise. I really need to resolve this in my head before I go too far.

Thanks for your input!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search