Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2016, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Point of clarification. "Assault Weapon" is the media's fictitious term. An "Assault Rifle" is a thing, specifically a weapon designed for infantry use capable of both semiautomatic and fully automatic firing.
    Let's try to put this in perspective, the weapons we are talking about are of military design adapted for civilian use, self loading, capable of rapid fire from a high volume magazine. In some countries these high volume magazines are not permitted. In others weapons of this configuration are not permitted
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2016, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Let's try to put this in perspective, the weapons we are talking about are of military design adapted for civilian use, self loading, capable of rapid fire from a high volume magazine. In some countries these high volume magazines are not permitted. In others weapons of this configuration are not permitted
    .....and yet the criminals manage to get their hands on them ;and if their intention is mass murder ,a bomb ,or a truck rental appears to be just as effective . The biggest mass killing in the US was accomplished with box cutters and a few planes. The next biggest was done with a truck full of common fertilizers. Nice was done with a rental truck driving over the victims.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2016, 12:43 PM
    You have to ask, you must be in control. The males are not the only ones to blame. With birth control pills readily available you have to ask why it is the female population still resorts to abortion as a form of birth control. The number of babies aborted is staggering indicating the problem is a moral one. There is one sure method of birth control
    There's the old saw: "Women give sex to get love. Men give love to get sex." Plus, the "evangelical" teaching is that a wife does not refuse her husband's request for sex. Third-world countries do not know that pregnancies can be prevented. Or certain religions are against birth control. Birth control too often is frowned on or non existent.

Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    .....and yet the criminals manage to get their hands on them
    Most of the shooters have been young men who felt disenfranchised somehow. Rarely have they been criminals.

Many was the night I wondered if my sleep-drugged husband, hearing a noise in the dark house (me dealing with a sick kid or being sick myself) would shoot before asking questions.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 19, 2016, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Gotcha on the "specifically a weapon designed for infantry use" as well as "capable of both semiautomatic and fully automatic firing" that anybody can modify rather quickly and easily, and in the hands of such persons, or ANYONE, that THING can kill a lot of innocents, and even highly trained and armed public servants.

That's the whole problem, any loony, criminal, can get one rather easily despite the law, through many loopholes and restrictions. That good guy with a gun is never around, so we have to call a cop. I got nothing against cops, but will he be that well trained one, or some wannabe who ain't so well trained, experienced, or qualified? Or even a good cop period.

The media's "fictitious terms" is NOT the issue, or the problem.
    What loophole? Are you talking about government regulation of private sales ?

And there are plenty of examples of people that carry preventing a crime in progress.

How easy is it to modify a weapon? Do you actually know what it would take?
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2016, 03:47 PM
    .....and yet the criminals manage to get their hands on them ;and if their intention is mass murder ,a bomb ,or a truck rental appears to be just as effective . The biggest mass killing in the US was accomplished with box cutters and a few planes. The next biggest was done with a truck full of common fertilizers. Nice was done with a rental truck driving over the victims.
    Not entering into the possession debate Tom we both know that someone will find a way whether that is assault rifles, hand guns, bombs or murder by motor vehicle or IED, I was just putting us on the same page when speaking about assault rifles. What happens is a terrorist becomes inventive in achieving the objective. Fertilizers are controlled because of what can be made from them, there is some logic in extending this thinking, but let us ask ourselves how many single shot weapons have been used in mass killings?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 19, 2016, 04:32 PM
    how many single shot weapons have been used in mass killings?
    Do shotguns count? I can put 19 .30 caliber bullets downrange with every trigger pull.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2016, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Do shotguns count? I can put 19 .30 caliber bullets downrange with every trigger pull.
    Well I suppose if they become the weapon of choice they will be banned too, but the point is a question of dealing death to multiple targets, we should include automatic shotguns in the definition of assault weapons if they are not already
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2016, 10:51 AM
    Boy this RNC convention is quite the clown show and no one is happier than the comedians.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2016, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Boy this RNC convention is quite the clown show and no one is happier than the comedians.
    Until the Repubics close their primaries to Democrat registered voters ,they will continue to nominate the weakest link. 12 million Democrats voted in this year's Republican primaries. The Dems don't have that system. Only registered Dems can vote in their primaries.

Trump could very well be an Evita plant. Trump was a lifelong Democrat (registerd on and off as political opportunity presented itself).He was a donor and avid supporter of the Clintoons. He's a corrupt 'crony capitalist' with "New York values". Still because of their crazy primary system ,he ended up being their nominee. And we are supposed to pretend to like it because "Evita is worse " .
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2016, 04:38 PM
    Until the Repubics close their primaries to Democrat registered voters ,they will continue to nominate the weakest link. 12 million Democrats voted in this year's Republican primaries. The Dems don't have that system. Only registered Dems can vote in their primaries.

Trump could very well be an Evita plant. Trump was a lifelong Democrat (registerd on and off as political opportunity presented itself).He was a donor and avid supporter of the Clintoons. He's a corrupt 'crony capitalist' with "New York values". Still because of their crazy primary system ,he ended up being their nominee. And we are supposed to pretend to like it because "Evita is worse " .
    You suggest Dilliary is smart enough to plant Dump amongst the Republicans but Dump is so far right he has almost come full circle and could be considered far left. Even if he started that way to spoil the choice and divide, the power trip has kicked in
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2016, 05:57 PM
    You suggest Dilliary is smart enough to plant Dump amongst the Republicans but Dump is so far right he has almost come full circle and could be considered far left. Even if he started that way to spoil the choice and divide, the power trip has kicked in
    He has many views to the political left of Evita ;more similar to Bolshevik Bernie's .I've seen their act over the years . Trump and the Clintoons are very close despite the rhetoric you are hearing .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...5e2_story.html
    Attached Images

Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 06:00 PM
    Chelsea and Ivanka are good friends.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2016, 01:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Chelsea and Ivanka are good friends.
    We know the fix is in , it doesn't matter who is elected you are in for more of the same
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2016, 05:59 AM
    How in the hell can you fix this broken political system? It must be disheartening.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2016, 09:29 PM
    Don't worry karma, Mr. Fix It, Donald the Dump will fix it, didn't you hear him? He told you he is going to do one of two things, either he will fix it or he will F### it
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2016, 09:20 AM
    Trump sounded bombastic like a 3rd world dicator playing to the masses. It was almost as long as a 3rd world dictator's speech too. Actually ,that was the same way Bolshevik Bernie sounded . What's he doing these days ......heckling Muppets ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2016, 04:27 PM
    Trump sounded bombastic like a 3rd world dicator playing to the masses. It was almost as long as a 3rd world dictator's speech too. Actually ,that was the same way Bolshevik Bernie sounded . What's he doing these days ......heckling Muppets ?
    I'm surprised Tom that the assembled masses didn't salute him with their right arms outstretched
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 23, 2016, 07:33 AM
    I'm surprised Tom that the assembled masses didn't salute him with their right arms outstretched

I think your confused. That would be the Hillary camp doing that.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2016, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    I think your confused. That would be the Hillary camp doing that.
    No I'm not confused, the Dump speech was full of authoritarian bravado, It is a wonder he wasn't thumping the rosterium. There are direct parallels between Hitler's speeches and Dumps. I was expecting him to say he was going to march into Mexico to gain living space for all those hispanics or was that ejecting all those hispanics. His embracing of Putin is also dangerous and the parallel was Hitler who embraced Stalin
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2016, 09:38 AM
    No I'm not confused, the Dump speech was full of authoritarian bravado, It is a wonder he wasn't thumping the rosterium. There are direct parallels between Hitler's speeches and Dumps. I was expecting him to say he was going to march into Mexico to gain living space for all those hispanics or was that ejecting all those hispanics. His embracing of Putin is also dangerous and the parallel was Hitler who embraced Stalin
    Nahh it was more like Mussolini :

"I am very glad to be able to express my friendly feelings toward the American nation. Friendship with which Italy looks at millions of citizens who, from Alaska to Florida, from the Pacific to the Atlantic, live in the United States, Italy is deeply rooted in our hearts. This feeling created by mutual interests so contributed to preparation of an even brighter era in the lives of both nations.

I greet with wonderful energy the American people and I see and recognize among you the salt of your land, as well as ours, my fellow citizens who are working to make America great.

I salute the great American people. I salute the Italians of America who unite in a single love of two nations."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5l_r8MG5II

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Your thoughts? [ 31 Answers ]

I've been having these thoughts telling me I'm gay for awhile, I'd say about since September. I've learned to deal with them. I can confidently say I'm straight, because ever since I was a child I had always like girls and always got those goose bumps when a girl would say she liked me, you know...

Constant thoughts - my thoughts are never ending [ 18 Answers ]

Hello there - I'm trying to get some answers regarding my newest problem. I can't go to my pysch. About this because I've tried but every time I try to explain this to someone (counselor, pysch. parents.. ) they think I have an "issue". ADHD, anxiety, and the list goes on and on. I'm so sick of...

Thoughts please [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I am 23 years old and have been having severe lower back pain. I was in a four wheeling accident back in 2005 and ever since then my back has not been the same. I have been to doctors numerous times for them to tell me that the pain I have been having is mechanical. Meaning, its my muscles and...

Your thoughts? [ 10 Answers ]

Okay, So now... Meh, this is a bit of a answer to an answer of one of my questiony-type thingos. It (kinda :rolleyes:) deviates from the premise of my post.. Aaand I feel like stretching my sociality arm a bit, here: Q by "BlakeCory": You subscribe to a deterministic view of...

Title Trasfer to Trust, Les Pence issue [ 2 Answers ]

I am the 76 year old owner of a $6mil piece of property. A les pence has been placed on it claiming breach of contract via a lawsuit. The defendant is claiming that a verbal agreement was made to sell him the property for $3.5mil. No funds were exchanged and no documents have been signed. The...

View more questions Search