Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2007srm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 01:54 PM
    I can't feed my budgie by hand and he won't come out of his cage
    Hi, I've had my budgie, sebastian, for around 4 months now. I have made it hand tame but I have never taught it to take food from my hand. I have tried it a couple of times but he always backs away and seems to be frightened. My problem is that he doesn't like to come out of his cage. I can sometimes get him out for a few minutes but usually when I gradually take him out of the cage by him sitting on my finger he turns himself around and goes back into the cage and sits on his branch. He won't come out much and when he does come out he will land on top of the mirror and turn around and fly back into the cage. I don't know what to do and I want him to be out of the cage more. It seems that he doesn't enjoy being out of the cage and just has a quick fly around and goes straight back in. Please help I want him to be out of the cage more and enjoy it. I also need help on how to feed him from my hand!

Thank you!

Xx
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 02:04 PM
    You are going to have to give that little guy time and space. You are gong to have to have patience in training a bird. Relax, enjoy his presence and he will start to trust you enough, NOT to go back into his cage where he feels secure and safe. Do you have other animals in the house ? If you have a cat, you must know that he/she must sense a predator.

Apr 14, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Hi, I have a dog but my budgie doesn't seem to notice him when he's around to be honest. I just get really stressed because my budgie isn't acting like a normal budgie. I just want him to come out of the cage and not be all scared. When he turns around it really annoys me so I leave it and come back to it again later but he does it again. How can I get him to come out more?

Thanks for your help please reply asap xx
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 03:51 PM
    He is certainly afraid of something. Put the dog out, let the budgie out and sit casual maybe in another room and see how he reacts to that situation. Maybe put some food on your shoulder, or put it in different spots leading to where you are.

Apr 14, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    he is certainly afraid of something. Put the dog out, let the budgie out and sit casual maybe in another room and see how he reacts to that situation. Maybe put some food on your shoulder, or put it in different spots leading to where you are.
    Thanks for the advice. I think he might just be a bit nervous still. It will probably take a while for him to adjust fully but I'll give it a try. Thanks x
    Lez Posts: 73, Reputation: 7

Apr 14, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2007srm
    hi, i've had my budgie, sebastian, for around 4 months now. I have made it hand tame but i have never taught it to take food from my hand. I have tried it a couple of times but he always backs away and seems to be frightened. My problem is that he doesn't like to come out of his cage. I can sometimes get him out for a few minutes but usually when i gradually take him out of the cage by him sitting on my finger he turns himself around and goes back into the cage and sits on his branch. He won't come out much and when he does come out he will land on top of the mirror and turn around and fly back into the cage. I don't know what to do and i want him to be out of the cage more. It seems that he doesnt enjoy being out of the cage and just has a quick fly around and goes straight back in. Please help i want him to be out of the cage more and enjoy it. I also need help on how to feed him from my hand!!

Thank you!

xx
    When your giving your budgey food are you coming at him with your other hand as to him your hand is a lot bigger than him try having food in your hand when you pick him up. Its taken me time to get my budgey to come out for longer but I have taken one of his wings and put it hanging by my window after I manage to get him to come out now and put him up on his swing he happly sits there looking out the window and goes back to his cage when he wants, but I understand why he don't like staying out much as sometimes the dog will come up in my room and the bird isn't going to forget that lol
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 26, 2007, 08:53 PM
    It will be very hard or impossible to get a budgie to eat from your hand. I have raised very tame day 1 chicks (birds) and they all love to eat from there food bowl. Your bird will have to have a lot of trust in you to do so and still it would be hard. If it is that important to you try to take the food bowl out of your budgie/parakeets cage and wait a while and try to feed him from your hand because most likely when he gets hungry he will eat. This may not work because some birds would rather starve then eat from a humans hand but it just depends, it's worth a shot. Parakeets/budgies are much harder to hand tame then cockatiels which can learn to chirp tunes and are very friendly.

I have owned cockatiels for years and they cost about $100-130 but are worth it because they are small, easily trained and make GREAT pets. I sell my baby cockatiels for only $20 each and you can usually buy them from a breeder online for about $20-30 which is a steal!! I have basically given up on parakeets as pets but cockatiels make wonderful friendly birds, they love to sit on your shoulder, they love their heads petted and will learn to eat out of your hand much easier than a parakeet/budgie. You may think about getting a cockatiel as a pet in the future but don't give up on your budgie!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Budgie nesting box [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have an aviary and I have some questions. 1/ does the nesting box have to be hang up, or can it just be put on top of anything? 2/ how long till my birds get used to the new avairy? Thanks and best regards, Wagdi

New budgie pet bird [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am going to get a pet budgie in a couple of days and I was wondering how I can tame him... I have searched the internet many times and still no answer that I need that goes with taming or breeding a budgie, help me:eek:

Budgie cage gone bad [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for advice on how to clean a budgie cage that hasn't been cleaned in a long long while. The budgie is still in it! It is for a friend and I haven't cleaned out a cage before so need the real basics! Thanks

Hand fell asleep won't wake 24 hours now [ 1 Answers ]

I thought shaking it would do it nothing works. What's wrong?

Cage training for the puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a cage for our puppy, because during the week she will be alone from 8 to 5 and will be let out at noon for about 15min. Right now we are off till Monday so we are trying to do as much as possible... My question is... When were sitting at home with her and she's sleeping in...

View more questions Search