Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChrisLW47130 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2016, 10:02 PM
    Is a bathtub a necessity in a bathroom remodel?
    We are working with a local contractor who is going to be taking our existing bathroom down to the stud walls following water damage due to a ruptured pipe. We have a small, brick ranch with one bathroom. My wife and I are both 52 with back and knee issues and we are thinking of eliminating the bathtub in favor of a nicely tiled and appointed shower area with a bench seat and a 4" to 6" curb. I've heard varying opinions that having no tub will reduce the resale value of the house. We've lived here for 23 years and I don't foresee moving in the next 10 to 15 at least, so I figure we need to have the bathroom we want and have a shower/bathing area that is as easy as possible to get in and out of.

I would love to hear what other folks have to say on this matter. IS a bathtub a necessity in a single bathroom house or is it a matter or personal preference? Any opinions/answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 04:58 AM
    I renovated my small one bathroom bungalow and had the tub taken out because it took up too much room. I don't have back problems and I do enjoy that shower all glass enclosure with a lot more room in the bathroom.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 05:05 AM
    I wouldn't worry about the resale value since you are not planning to move and a bathroom custom made for you may make you stay forever.

DO IT, and enjoy YOUR house!!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 7, 2016, 05:13 AM
    It does seem to be standard real estate knowledge that a tub is a must, I would guess because without one, you eliminate people with small children (and people who really do like to soak in tubs).
    I agree that it is nice to do what makes you happy.
    And there is so much demand these days for more than one bathroom, I'm not sure that it matters. My house was originally a typical 1970 ranch with one bathroom, and someone built a big addition in 1986. Buyers of your house someday can put on an addition, like the ridiculous bloated 'master suite.'
    Or maybe by then the public will have gone back to small is good, cheaper, and energy saving.
    So I too say: put in your shower.
    I don't care for tiled curbs. They are too wide, tall and squared. Too easy to stub a toe and tiles often crack if you buy a glass door that is attached to the curb in any spot, and the floating ones are very expensive. I prefer premolded bases with a tiny lip.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 05:26 AM
    Never though about it but I doubt that there is any code requiring a tub. A toilet is probably required.

I took a lots of baths in a little round tub in front of the fireplace when I was a kid, after my sisters. Haven't taken more that half a dozen as an an adult and they were in the first couple years after I was married.

Ask you wife and do it your way (your wife's way). She over rides any code.

Besides, what's any bureaucrat going to do. Take away your birthday, kick you out of your home, take you to jail. Bet they don't have tubs in jail?
    Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 05:26 AM
    I have been drooling over these babies for a few years now

American Standard Gelcoat Standard Series 48 in. x 28 in. Walk-In Whirlpool Tub with Quick Drain in White-2848.104.WLW - The Home Depot

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2016, 07:48 AM
    Take a look at homes in adult neighborhoods. Very few have tubs. We have a shower and a tub. Might use the tub 2X per year. A tub is not required under any code I know of unless local.

Jul 7, 2016, 08:22 AM
    Wow! Thanks to every one of you who has chimed in on this. I'm glad to hear there are other folks out there who are abandoning the bathtub. I used to take long baths many years ago (and, if I had the $$$ and the space, would love to have a jetted bathtub), but haven't actually soaked in a tub in probably ten or more years. joypulv, your comment about people with small children is the argument I hear the most about why we should keep a tub. My wife and I have no kids and, being in our fifties, don't foresee any in our future, so that argument is largely moot to us. We would much rather have a nice, fully-tiled shower enclosure with the wall jets, etc. to enjoy.

hk, you're definitely right when it comes to who trumps who in the world of building codes. Heck, I have decisions overturned on a daily basis by my other half! LOL!

talaniman, we actually looked at the tubs of the type you posted and the contractor we're working with said he has put a few in, but he hears back from people a couple of years later who want to get rid of them because of leakage issues and, apparently, even though they have rapid pump draining systems, the tend to leave the users pretty chilly while waiting to get out (unless you have your heat cranked pretty high, I could easily see that happening).

So I believe we are going to kiss our tub goodbye and go with what will make us happy and also what will make it easier to get in/out of the shower.
    Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 10:44 AM
    LOL, peruse these then and show your wife...

Luxury Showers Home Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor.

I know, expensive but whats wrong with dreaming BIG!!!
    current pert

Jul 7, 2016, 11:03 AM
    I mentioned small kids ONLY in the context of resale.
    There's plenty to be said for doing what makes you happy.
    I think in my case, being almost 70, that I factor resale in a bit more each year.
    Even in your 50s, you have no idea what the future holds re your health and mobility and ability to even keep your home.
    There's no formula. You talk about it and decide and hope it works out.
    Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    LOL, peruse these then and show your wife...

Luxury Showers Home Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor.

I know, expensive but whats wrong with dreaming BIG!!!
    The master bath beauty, the second from end, is what I chose to replace my bathtub. It is big enough for a teak stool to sit on inside the enclosure, in case you want to just relax under the hot water for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I mentioned small kids ONLY in the context of resale.
    There's plenty to be said for doing what makes you happy.
    I think in my case, being almost 70, that I factor resale in a bit more each year.
    Even in your 50s, you have no idea what the future holds re your health and mobility and ability to even keep your home.
    There's no formula. You talk about it and decide and hope it works out.
    If people with children are looking for a house, they will not choose one with no bathtub anyway, so a mute point. I am 73, Joy, and have already factored in my new bathroom for resale purposes, and it comes out on top.

Jul 7, 2016, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I renovated my small one bathroom bungalow and had the tub taken out because it took up too much room. I don't have back problems and I do enjoy that shower all glass enclosure with a lot more room in the bathroom.
    I'm glad to hear that we aren't the only ones who are willing to abandon a bathtub. Our bathroom is very small (I believe no larger than 25 square feet) and I feel like if I get rid of the tub and put in a glass enclosed shower, it will open the room up a bit more. Thanks for chiming in!
    Expert

Jul 8, 2016, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLW47130 View Post
    I'm glad to hear that we aren't the only ones who are willing to abandon a bathtub. Our bathroom is very small (I believe no larger than 25 square feet) and I feel like if I get rid of the tub and put in a glass enclosed shower, it will open the room up a bit more. Thanks for chiming in!
    I always said you couldn't swing a cat in my bathroom before it was renovated. The tub was half the bathroom ! A good contractor made it all happen by designing and measuring everything I wanted to happen. If you are doing this yourself, maybe you should use a CAD programme to make sure you make use of all available space.
    current pert

Jul 8, 2016, 01:47 PM
    'If people with children are looking for a house, they will not choose one with no bathtub anyway, so a mute point.'

That's the POINT if you want to sell your house!! This is now the third time!!

Mute = silent. Moot = no point arguing
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2016, 02:28 PM
    Worrying about what remodeling will add to the value of the house is really only important if you will sell soon after the work is done. 10 - 15 years down the road, its not going to look fresh anyway.

Anything that far out you do for yourself now, who knows what will be important 10 or 15 years from now... tastes change all the time, trends are exactly that... something else starts becoming more or less popular. That far out... you need a really good crystal ball.

Once upon a time Jacuzzi's were all the rage, right now they are an albatross because of how much water and time you need to fill them up... in 15 years maybe tubs will be a relic, maybe they will make a comeback... who knows. Spend you money on what you will get to enjoy the next ten years or so.
    Expert

Jul 8, 2016, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    'If people with children are looking for a house, they will not choose one with no bathtub anyway, so a mute point.'

That's the POINT if you want to sell your house!! This is now the third time!!

Mute = silent. Moot = no point arguing
    OK so I get it the third time for WHAT :

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom remodel [ 1 Answers ]

Remodeling master bathroom in doublewide. I took out a sink and capped off the water supply and main drain to that sink. Now when I try to get water to work for other sink it leaks and will not drain properly. Is this because the vent is gone to other sink that was removed?

Putting the bathtub faucet back on after remodel [ 7 Answers ]

We recently replaced our bath tub surround with tile. Now the pipe coming out for the faucet spigot (the fixture that the water comes out of) is to short to screw back on. What are my options? Do I have to cut the faucet so it can reach, extend the pipe? I am looking for the easiest and least...

Bathroom remodel [ 5 Answers ]

Quick question: We are remodeling the master bathroom and need to move the toilet, sink and shower. Right now the toilet is on a dedicated drain line and the sink and shower share one. I'm will put in a P trap to use the toilet drain as the new shower drain. Can I combine the new sink drain and the...

Bathroom remodel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fairly small master bath. My son has muscular dystrophy and I would like to remove the tub/shower combo and replace it with a roll in shower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Bathroom remodel [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 1960's post and tention conrete high rise building where the plumbing for the master bathroom is all in one wall including the drainage for the toilet/shower/sink. The toilet is wall mounted. I have no access to running pipes through he concrete floor. 1) In this type of siutation,...

View more questions Search