Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChrisLW47130 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2016, 10:43 AM
    Is PEX tubing reliable?
    Chris in Jeffersonville again with another question pertaining to the remodel I'm doing on my laundry room. My hot and cold water lines coming up from the floor are copper and I'd actually like to move them a bit to allow more clearance behind the washing machine. I've been doing some online and "in store" research on PEX tubing. How many of you have used it and do you find it reliable? I get conflicting stories about how watertight it is or isn't. Thought I would ask the experts. Thanks, in advance, for any information/advice.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2016, 12:40 PM
    Almost every new home built in the Atlanta area has PEX. Perfect for manifold systems. I have used it for many remodeling situations and have only had one problem, a bent barb on a sharkbite and the pipe came out, fortunately in a garage. Don't use a Sharkbite or Gatorbite in a concealed space, get the crimp rings and tool. You could also transition to CPVC.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 6, 2016, 01:26 PM
    We switched from copper to PEX about 6 years ago. All our new construction is done in PEX. With PEX, you want to make sure, you use the best way of connecting pipe to fittings. To us, the superior way to make the connection is by using plastic Expansion Rings applied with Milwaukee expander tool. So far, we've had 100% success, and zero recalls, due to leaks in connections.

In my area of operation, SharkBite type fittings are approved for concealed installation, including underground. We use them in emergency situations and hard to get places. As with PEX, so far, SharkBite type fittings never failed.

Hope that helps

Milo

Jul 6, 2016, 09:34 PM
    Great advice to hear from both of you. Much appreciated. I've heard about and watched a couple of videos on the Sharkbite system for connections and I think PEX has it's own line of connectors if memory serves. I don't know that I've heard of or seen the plastic expansion rings you're referring to, Milo, or the Milwaukee expander tool. I'm sure there's likely info on both on the Internet. Thanks for your helpful information.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2016, 04:36 PM
    Hello Chris,

Please open the link below and you will see how the expansion ring tool how does it work, Thanks.

John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_D_VxT_Q

Jul 7, 2016, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Hello Chris,

Please open the link below and you will see how the expansion ring tool how does it work, Thanks.

John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_D_VxT_Q
    Excellent video on that subject matter, John. Thanks for the link. Seeing all the various ways of connecting the PEX pipe and it's versatility is filling my head with all kinds of cool ideas as far as how I can open up even more space in my laundry area!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 9, 2016, 05:43 PM
    Good video, John. Yes, that is the small Milwaukee expander that goes from 1/2" to 1" pipe. There is also larger version that goes from 1" all the way to 1 1/2". This one is quite expensive. For small project with only few connections, you can buy manual expander from home improvement store - or - maybe even better - utilize SharkBite fittings. No expender tool or plastic rings needed with SharkBite fittings

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it went !

Milo

Jul 9, 2016, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Good video, John. Yes, that is the small Milwaukee expander that goes from 1/2" to 1" pipe. There is also larger version that goes from 1" all the way to 1 1/2". This one is quite expensive. For small project with only few connections, you can buy manual expander from home improvement store - or - maybe even better - utilize SharkBite fittings. No expender tool or plastic rings needed with SharkBite fittings

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it went !

Milo

Will do, Milo! I'm glad to hear there's a somewhat less expensive model of that expander. I've got a Menards, a Home Depot and a Lowe's all within two miles of me, so I check to see if any of them carry the manual expander. If not, then I'll be trying out the SharkBite fittings.

Thanks to one and all of you for your input. I'll keep you advised as the project moves along and I just know I'll likely have even more questions! : )
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2016, 11:47 AM
    Hello Milo,

Is this what you are talking about Please see the image below.

ChrisLW47130 if Milo says it will work you can get it from Sears or Amazon for less then $30, just click on this link less expensive expander tool for pex pipe
    Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pex tubing [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to be cutting into my current pex tubing to run an additional hot and cold line to the bathroom I am putting in my basement. I have been looking at all the necessary components of accomplishing this and I'm a bit confused, is it necessary to use these rings or is there a fitting that can...

Straightening pex tubing [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a 50' roll of pex for a project that requires a pretty straight lay. Is there a patented way to straighten the tubing from the tight (2.5' diam) packaged roll? Should I just rely on anchor clamps nailed into studs? Thanks.

Pex Tubing [ 2 Answers ]

What size Pex tubing is best for bathroom plumbing?

Pex tubing [ 1 Answers ]

I am running pex tubing in a bathroom I am building in my basement. Can the pex run flush with the 2x4's or do I need some kind of spacer so it is not laying flat on the wood? Also what kind of bends can the tubing stand?

View more questions Search