Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChrisLW47130 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2016, 06:17 PM
    A question regarding venting of a washing machine drain.
    Working on renovating our laundry room, which is very small. One of the ways I want to open up a little space is by reconfiguring the big knot of PVC pipe the first owner put in for the washing machine drain. I'm trying to get it as close to the wall as possible. This being my fist post, I don't know if I can post photos or not, but hopefully one of the mods will let me know.

Two main questions as the moment.

1.) What is the best way to get the old drain pipe apart. I know PVC Cement basically fuses PVC together, so I was wondering if there were a way to get it apart aside from a hacksaw.

2.) Most important question. Right now, the pipe coming off the trap that allows sewer gases/air/etc. to escape is going up the back wall of my laundry room at a really funky angle and goes up, presumably, to tie into a vent on the roof that allows the contents to escape. This roof vent has, despite many attempts to seal it, been a source of water working it's way into the attic and down onto my laundry room ceiling. I am wanting to find out if I can take that vent pipe and, after drilling a 2" hole in the brick façade of the house, run the pip opening directly out that way instead of going all the way up to the roof. I've got a condensation pipe on my AC unit that already has a similar configuration.

If there's anyone here with an answer or suggestion, I'm all ears!

Thanks!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 6, 2016, 02:37 AM
    Insert a picture using the third icon from the right on the toolbar on top of the answer box.
    1. You have to cut it with a hacksaw, Sawzall, etc. Not possible to unglue.
    2. Are you sure that the roof vent is just for this one need? It seems more logical to find out why it is still leaking. Maybe you get ice dams? Shingle nails popping? Ridge vent leaking instead, and it drips down the rafters? (I was fooled by that last one once on my house.) Venting out a brick wall seems like more work than fixing what you have, not to mention ugly. And you need to ask what code is where you live. The AC isn't venting sewer gasses like the washer is.

Jul 6, 2016, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Insert a picture using the third icon from the right on the toolbar on top of the answer box.
    1. You have to cut it with a hacksaw, Sawzall, etc. Not possible to unglue.
    2. Are you sure that the roof vent is just for this one need? It seems more logical to find out why it is still leaking. Maybe you get ice dams? Shingle nails popping? Ridge vent leaking instead, and it drips down the rafters? (I was fooled by that last one once on my house.) Venting out a brick wall seems like more work than fixing what you have, not to mention ugly. And you need to ask what code is where you live. The AC isn't venting sewer gasses like the washer is.
    Thanks for the input, joypulv. I kind of figured I was going to have to take a hacksaw or reciprocating saw to it. I've watched a couple of YouTube video where people either use a heated hole saw or the actually coat the pipe with fresh cement, then set it on fire long enough to soften the PVC. Not wanting to torch my house, I think I'll just use the saw approach!

I guess I should have clarified about my leakage issue with the vent opening up on the roof; it used to leak, but is hasn't done so in the four years or so (knock wood), so I was just---and I apologize for the really bad pun---venting about it!

I'm going to check local codes about whether the pipe has to vent topside or not.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2016, 02:09 PM
    Google " using an AAV as a vent". Eliminates going through the roof. Most codes today require only 1 main vent and allow AAV'S for sinks and washers. They need to be accessible so some people install them in the wall and then use an access cover. Some older houses had 3 or 4 vents through the roof.

Jul 7, 2016, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Google " using an AAV as a vent". Eliminates going through the roof. Most codes today require only 1 main vent and allow AAV'S for sinks and washers. They need to be accessible so some people install them in the wall and then use an access cover. Some older houses had 3 or 4 vents through the roof.
    Definitely going to look into the AAV. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question on how to plumb a Utility Tub and Washing Machine into Waste Drain Line. [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for advise on how to properly connect a Utility Tub and Washing Machine into my sewer/waste drain line. Any help is appreciated. I have attached a picture of my idea/possible layout of the plumbing.

New plumbing and venting for washing machine. [ 9 Answers ]

Please take a look at this design and let me know what you think. Please note that the vent and drain stack are on a perpendicular wall. How long can the pipe with the red question mark on it be? To do this I'd need it to be about 6' including the elbow. I'm guessing I'd have to angle it down. ...

Venting a washing machine properly [ 1 Answers ]

I need help venting a washing machine properly. We have just purchased a new washer and the current washer we have was never vented properly. So what happens is the water backs up in the vent pipe and also the sink which is on a T refuge pipe. Help Please. Thanks

View more questions Search