Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Jul 4, 2016, 10:22 AM
    Leaky Faucet Replacement - Jacuzzi Tub?
    I have two leaky faucets that have corroded over the years. The faucets are for a jacuzzi style tub, but I am not sure of the actual brand name because it was original with the house and from what I can tell is unmarked.

I've taken the faucets off (as pictured) but I am not sure what to do from here. I've gone to Lowe's but without any luck or help.

I am pretty handy and I'm willing to buy tools and parts needed. I personally would like to replace all of the hardware, but I'm not sure where to start.

Any constructive help is welcome. Below is a link to the photos.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...ElDTlZ5N3dJZjg
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 4, 2016, 12:28 PM
    Remove stem so we can see what it looks like.
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Jul 4, 2016, 12:35 PM
    That is one of the issues I am having trouble with as well. The stem connection is corroded. Not sure if I should apply heat to remove. Any suggestions?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 4, 2016, 01:11 PM
    Checkout this video and I hope it helps you take the next step and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueGHUue-px8

No heat just elbow grease and wrench.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2016, 01:34 PM
    Hello Sharper11,

Talaniman has posted an excellent link to show how to remove and install a leaking stem or cartridge, in your case you may need to apply some WD-40 and let it soak for a few minutes and try, Good Luck.

John
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2016, 01:37 PM
    Looking at the corrosion, I would replace the whole faucet. This is a standard 8" spread roman tub faucet. Soak the brass ring at the bottom of the tub side faucet with wd40 or similar, unscrew or carefully cut the rings and the whole thing drops out the bottom. The bigger issue I see is gray poly piping with Qwest rings. Those compression fittings are known to fail. At least you have access. You can use a poly to pex adapter but will still need the crimp tool. Then you can use small pieces of Pex and sharknite fittings.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2016, 05:26 PM
    I would suggest to remove both cartridges inspect internal faucet if corrosion exist replace the whole faucet as Ma0641 says, if not clean internal also check the seats if anything wrong replace them and the cartridges with new ones, good luck.

John
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 4, 2016, 05:49 PM
    Put a 6 point box end wrench on it and pull. It is brass, does not rust. What you see must be mineral deposits. If entire assembly tends to move, have an assistant hold the mounting nut under the tub surface.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 4, 2016, 07:01 PM
    One wrench below the tub, on brass body of the stem, and 10" channel locks on top. Grip hard and turn CCW to break the grip. It is a hardened "O" ring that is making it hard to turn. If you can, use another person to hold the stem while you are applying pressure with channel locks. This way, you get better momentum

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Price pfister faucet removal on jacuzzi tub [ 0 Answers ]

I have a jacuzzi tub and it is a single handle to turn water on and off and hot or cold. I have taken the handle off and there was a screw at the bottom of the faucet. We have removed both of them and still are unable to get the faucet off. Can you please help me?

Where do I find replacement hardware for my jacuzzi tub? [ 4 Answers ]

I want to replace the jet nozzles with surround, drain and arm rests on my older model kohler whirlpool tub. The existing hardware is gold colored and corroded. The tub is great, I just want to update the hardware on it.

Where can I find a replacement drain for my 1980s jacuzzi whirlpool tub? [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to replace the entire waste and overflow, including the bathtub drain flange, for a Jacuzzi whirlpool tub. The problem that I have run into is that the tub is an older model tub, and the drain hole in the tub is only 1 3/4 inches wide. The threaded part of the drain flange (that goes...

Leaky Tub Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Our tub keeps dripping from the faucet. Want is causing this? What is the cheapest fix?

Leaky tub faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 handle system in the tub/shower and just noticed that the faucet is steadily running--kind of a small stream -- can't seem to tighten the knobs any more.. any ideas?

View more questions Search