Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgr1msr1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2016, 10:01 AM
    Ship lap
    I am installing ship lap in my bathroom on an interior wall. Do I need to put anything between the studs and the wood I'm installing to stop moisture from getting behind the ship lap and mold from growing? Someone at Home Depot suggested stapling plastic sheeting up against the studs before installing the ship lap.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2016, 11:18 AM
    You could install a vapor barrier. 4-6 mil poly would work. On most interior walls it isn't really needed. However, to be safe, I would install on a bath wall .
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 27, 2016, 01:44 PM
    Ship lap is nice but if you are going to put it in a bathroom, I would never close the door when the shower is on. Even if there is a window and an exhaust fan.

Plastic behind it merely moves the area of condensation closer in. The back of the ship lap can easily collect all that moisture. Any nails that aren't stainless will eventually rust and pop and split the wood, and rust stains will run down...
    But that's just me. I want renovations to last for at least 50 years.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 27, 2016, 03:30 PM
    I would not install ship lap in a washroom at all. The back side of the boards will still absorb moisture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lap band?? [ 4 Answers ]

Um I'm thinking about getting a lap band but I'm reading online about the conditions and so far its been good but can anyone tell me these important things.. How much will it cost without insurance? What if you have high blood pressure? Or type 2 diabetes (and its always high) Two enlarged...

Ship maybe called e ship [ 0 Answers ]

I saw a ship in Kos harbour in mid September that was very large and had four columns at the corners that rotated when it moved. What was it.

Swapping hard drives from Lap Top to Lap top [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to this forum, we have declared my hard drive on our Dell laptop corrupt. We have another Dell LAptop that has a good hard drive but the monitor hinge part is broken and it just flops around. I was wondering if we could take out the hard drive from the broken screen one and put it in the lap...

Lap dance [ 12 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been wanting me to give him a lap dance. I don't mind doing it but I can't find good music to do it to and he hates rap with a passion can you help? Thanks.

Lap band [ 3 Answers ]

I am an air force veteran on medicare and va and cannot get a much needed lap band because no one in the south west Missouri area will take either one... my credit isn't so great and neither is my health! Can afford payments.

View more questions Search