Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anncp246 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2016, 04:39 PM
    What has to be claimed on taxes when inheriting a Non ERISA annuity?
    My father left me a non ERISA annuity. I went on IRS.gov to try to determine how much should be claimed in taxes. I could only find information on regular ERISA or qualified annuities. I tried calling but couldn't get through to an actual person. I viewed a few different websites which all seemed to say that taxes only have to be paid on any amount which is over what my father actually paid in. I'm wondering if this is true. I'm concerned since I can't figure out why IRS.gov wouldn't address these types of annuities on their website - at least not that I could find. Thank you to anyone who can give me some clarification!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 22, 2016, 04:56 PM
    Generally, for all annuities, distributions are taxable only to the extent that the distributions exceed what was paid into the annuity.

So, yes, it IS true what you read.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2016, 06:29 PM
    I get an annuity. The 1099 shows taxable and basis what I paid in, relative to the life of the annuity. As an example, you paid 10,000 and will get 20,000 over 10 years. Of the 2000 you will get per annum, Only 1,000 will be taxable.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 22, 2016, 07:00 PM
    MA0641's answer better illustrates what I was trying to say.
    anncp246 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2016, 08:28 AM
    This isn't an annuity that I paid into; it's inherited. The only options are lump sum or spread out over five years.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 24, 2016, 06:47 PM
    Inherited annuities is a slightly different case. What is paid in in generally NOT subject to taxation, but the earning will be taxed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone claimed my son on taxes, how do I find out if they claimed in prior years? [ 5 Answers ]

Since I have been a student for the past five years there was no need to file. I was trying to file this year for 2012 and found out someone claimed my son with out consent. I have to mail in my return, but I am wondering how do I find out if someone has claimed him in prior years where I do not...

I am inheriting a home in New York. Will I have to pay any taxes on it? [ 2 Answers ]

Are there going to be any taxes due the state of NY upon the inheritance of my family homestead?

Annuity Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Due to a recent death, a close friend is the beneficiary to two annuities. Before the money is distributed to her, she was asked what percentage (if any) of the funds does she want directly forwarded to the IRS and also to her local state taxes. Does anyone out there know what the "norm" is on...

Annuity taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited a non-qualified annuity from my parents. Am I taxed on the interest earned on the annuity or on the full amount of the annuity?

Taxes on an inherited annuity [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away in 2005 and bequeathed his annuity to me and my sister. The funds (approximately $16,000 each) were distributed in 2006 and his estate paid the Federal and Colorado State taxes on it before my sister and I received our share. Because I deposited the entire amount into the...

View more questions Search