Ask
    northstar50 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2016, 03:04 PM
    Wet basement
    I need to waterproof in the basement...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 20, 2016, 03:12 PM
    Real waterproofing can't be done from inside. The water pressure is too great. Concrete is too porous, and it gets more porous as it ages, until about age 40.

It would take all day to describe different methods, from trench drains to sump pumps to the newest types of coverings for the outer walls, after you dig all around the foundation.

Call 3 local contractors who do nothing but waterproofing, and get estimates. Know what you want first! Live down there, or just store things, or just not have musty smells wafting upstairs? You will pay more for more livable space.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2016, 03:29 PM
    Tell us what happens first. Wet all the time? Coming through wall cracks? Up through the floor? After heavy rain? Spring only? Sometimes it is as simple are redirecting water away from the house, regrading, better gutters. Other times it requires extensive trenching, dry wells, exterior wall waterproofing, sump pumps and other plans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pump for Wet bar in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which enclosed pump systems are good to use to help drain a wet bar sink in basement. Breaking up concrete to tie into bathroom plumbing is not an option, so I was going to install an ejector pump below the sink and pump the water...

Wet Floor in Basement [ 7 Answers ]

:eek: The carpet has been wet the last few times it's rained. But it is in the red line in the picture, so I wonder if this means it is a crack in the floor rather than the wall. You can't see the picture unless you can log into myspace. But the wet spot is wider at the wall but extends narrowly on...

Wet basement wall... [ 2 Answers ]

See photo... House is 6 years old. Starting a few months ago, when we get a heavy rain, a water line will form on the basement wall (poured basement). It doesn't appear to be 'flowing' - just wet to the touch. Nothing on the floor. No cracks - just a water line. An hour after the rain...

Wet bar in basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to put in a wet bar (sink) in my basement, but I don't know where to drain the sink. As I explained in a previous post. "I want to put a sink in my basement, but I dont know where to drain it. Basicaly I have three pipes in my cement floor and I don't know what they are for....

Wet basement floor [ 3 Answers ]

In May when I first turned on my ac I had wet spot on my basement floor that came through my carpet. I had to put a condensate pump on near my furnace and water heater. That seemed to solve the problem until yesterday I noticed that the same spot as before is wet again and also around my furnace....

View more questions Search