Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2016, 04:01 AM
    What costs do I include in cost per unit
    So I know that you take your total costs (fixed & variable) divided by how many units you produced, but what constitutes as a cost? Initially, I thought it included inventory (money spent on products that haven't been sold) and loan payments (including principal) but then some people said I was wrong. Others said I was right.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 17, 2016, 05:01 AM
    I think you need to hire a CPA. There is no hard and fast answer to this. A lot depends on the nature of your business.

Figuring a cost per unit is generally for pricing purposes, not accounting or tax filings. So you can include fixed costs not related to production of a specific unit. Salaries paid to office staff, Phone and other utility bills, etc can all go into determining your cost per unit so you can apply a markup.

But for accounting and tax filings, you deal with total costs, not per unit.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2016, 07:01 AM
    I think you are having us on, if you want to know about accounting methodology read a textbook, your business has suddenly gone from some simple figures that really don't add up to something more complex than a buy/sell operation

Jun 17, 2016, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I think you are having us on, if you want to know about accounting methodology read a textbook, your business has suddenly gone from some simple figures that really don't add up to something more complex than a buy/sell operation
    Basically, all I'm trying to figure out is how to calculate how much a product I make costs. Looking it up, it says take your total costs and divide it by how many products you've made. But the problem is I don't know whether to include inventory or loan payments in the total cost. The reason it doesn't add up is because I'm trying to figure out how to add it up. And I can't tell which of my accounting people are right because one says that I include loan payments and inventory and the other says I don't because it isn't an expense

Jun 17, 2016, 08:14 AM
    Again, if you are trying to figure out what it costs to make a product so you can determine pricing, then the answer is subjective. There is no right or wrong answer. If you are trying to enter numbers in an accounting ledger, there are hard and fast rules for that.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2016, 08:05 PM
    If you can't trust the advice you are given hire an independent consultant to both review their work and advise you
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 06:29 PM
    Based on your other question, I'm guessing this is another homework question, and like the other question, you pretended this was for an actual business you own, and not for an accounting question in college, and that's why we can't answer you, because you don't have the answers to questions we'd ask of a business owner that's actually in the position you're pretending to be in.

If you were the owner of this business, I'd advise you to hire a reliable accountant. As the accountant for a business scenario such as this, I'd advise you to find a job you can handle, and I'd advise the owner to hire a new accountant.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2016, 07:03 PM
    Alty this is old and he has already admitted he is a college student with nothing better to do than study accounting because he has failed at everything else

Jul 29, 2016, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Based on your other question, I'm guessing this is another homework question, and like the other question, you pretended this was for an actual business you own, and not for an accounting question in college, and that's why we can't answer you, because you don't have the answers to questions we'd ask of a business owner that's actually in the position you're pretending to be in.

If you were the owner of this business, I'd advise you to hire a reliable accountant. As the accountant for a business scenario such as this, I'd advise you to find a job you can handle, and I'd advise the owner to hire a new accountant.
    I was not pretending to be a corporation owner, I just used this as an example in hopes of figuring out how to calculate cost of goods sold
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2016, 07:07 AM
    Cost of goods sold is a calculation based on the purchases in a period adjusted for movement in inventory

Jul 30, 2016, 07:42 AM
    Cost of goods sold is a calculation based on the purchases in a period adjusted for movement in inventory
    Still don't get it. What does "adjusted for movement in inventory" mean?

Jul 30, 2016, 03:44 PM
    What doo YOU think it means?
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2016, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Farber View Post
    If you cannot understand English I suggest you change your course of study. This isn't rocket science, but I can calculate your trajectory
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 30, 2016, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Farber View Post
    Oh my. Allen, this simple question, very very simple question, makes me worry about your chosen career even more. If you cannot even decipher this, you will be lost in the world of accounting, which it seems you already are.

This is worrisome.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2016, 07:14 PM
    I gave up even reading these...

He is NOT cut out for Accounting, no aptitude at all.

I have ZERO accounting schooling, training or experience and most of these appear pretty obvious even to me.

But that's not being mean....everyone has things they are NOT cut out for....I do, he does, everyone does. I feel its like flogging a dead horse to continue trying to be something you have no aptitude for.

DO I wish I had a knack for programming? Yes I do....but I learned over 35 years ago...How programmers think conflicts with my thought processes, and I really am not good at it. But I am good at other things, those are what I have chosen to pursue.

Jul 31, 2016, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What doo YOU think it means?
    Well, I would assume it means moving your inventory from one space or area to another, but then again, these accounting terms never mean what you'd think they mean, so I don't know.

If you cannot understand English I suggest you change your course of study. This isn't rocket science, but I can calculate your trajectory
    I do understand English, I just don't know all this fancy-schmancy accounting terminology. Apparently I guess I have to recite the dictionary front and back in order to understand this

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I gave up even reading these...

He is NOT cut out for Accounting, no aptitude at all.

I have ZERO accounting schooling, training or experience and most of these appear pretty obvious even to me.

But that's not being mean....everyone has things they are NOT cut out for....I do, he does, everyone does. I feel its like flogging a dead horse to continue trying to be something you have no aptitude for.

DO I wish I had a knack for programming? Yes I do....but I learned over 35 years ago...How programmers think conflicts with my thought processes, and I really am not good at it. But I am good at other things, those are what I have chosen to pursue.
    Good, one less person commenting "You're unteachable and shouldn't be an accountant" in the comment section. But of course I'm not cut out for accounting, especially if I'm getting answers like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Oh my. Allen, this simple question, very very simple question, makes me worry about your chosen career even more. If you cannot even decipher this, you will be lost in the world of accounting, which it seems you already are.

This is worrisome.
    For the love of God, apparently it's not that simple of a question, because 4 users replied and had answers that had nothing to do with the question. I assume it means to move your inventory from location A to location B but I doubt it. And before you call me an idiot or something equally stupid, I did read the definitions of the words "Movement" and "Inventory" and formed that conclusion. So my answer is just based off what the dictionary says those words mean.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2016, 06:09 AM
    "movement", in the context of inventory is goods that have been sold or otherwise disposed of. I used the word "adjusted" In accounting we do calculations and record transactions .

Just for the exercise, you may have heard the phrase over thinking but I don't think that is your problem.. Inventory is stock in hand, goods in hand, etc, a term defining items held. Sales is a term for items sold and no longer in our possession. Purchases is a term for the cost of items purchased. Perhaps, sold, perhaps remaining in inventory. You wanted to know how to calculate Cost of Sales. A precise methodology can be found in any accounting fundamentals text. You can make your captions as large and as explanatory as you want, we prefer simple captions. Now you can labourously assign every item purchased to every sale if you want to but it is simpler to take an overall approach

Jul 31, 2016, 06:41 AM
    "movement", in the context of inventory is goods that have been sold or otherwise disposed of. I used the word "adjusted" In accounting we do calculations and record transactions .

Just for the exercise, you may have heard the phrase over thinking but I don't think that is your problem.. Inventory is stock in hand, goods in hand, etc, a term defining items held. Sales is a term for items sold and no longer in our possession. Purchases is a term for the cost of items purchased. Perhaps, sold, perhaps remaining in inventory. You wanted to know how to calculate Cost of Sales. A precise methodology can be found in any accounting fundamentals text. You can make your captions as large and as explanatory as you want, we prefer simple captions. Now you can labourously assign every item purchased to every sale if you want to but it is simpler to take an overall approach
    Still don't really get what you meant by adjust but aside from that, great explanation. Thanks! So just to recap, Inventory is unsold products and that "Movement" means that an item in inventory moves from inventory to sold items, right? Also, one last question. What's a caption? I know it means the title of something in everyday speech, but what is the definition of it in accounting terminology?
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2016, 04:20 PM
    A caption is the name of an account or group of accounts in a report or listing of accounts

Jul 31, 2016, 05:27 PM
    A caption is the name of an account or group of accounts in a report or listing of accounts
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed costs are really variable. The more you produce, the smaller the unit cost of p [ 1 Answers ]

Fixed costs are really variable. The more you produce, the smaller the unit cost of production. Is this statement correct? Why or why not?

Total Unit product Cost & Overhead cost per unit [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help with trying to figure out how to calculate the overhead cost per unit. I have computed the Activity rate as well as the overhead applied for both products. The following is the info provided: Product / Direct Labor hours / annual prod. / total direct labor hours XR7 0.4DLHs per...

View more questions Search