Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewalton1970 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Break Even
    I know how to compute BE in dollars and in units. But I have a peculiar question that I just cannot grasp what to do. It's giving me a fixed cost, a contribution margin ratio in %, and sales price; and it wants me to compute break-even point in units. I'm kind of confused because I would think I'd need the variable cost before I could even try to figure this out. The problem with out giving the actual figures (don't want to cheat, just want to figure this out) reads; If fixed cost are $$$ and the contribution margin ratio is %% for a product that sells for $$, what is the break-even point in units?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 02:44 PM
    To simplifier this, I will make up some numbers.

Given:
    Fixed Costs $400,000
    Selling Price $100 per unit
    CM % = 40%

What is BE in units?

Solution:
    Selling 100
    VC = ?
    CM = .40 x $100 = 40
    Less: FC 400,000
    Net Income = 0

Therefore, BC is:
    40x – 400,000 = 0
    40x = 400,000
    x = 10,000
    ewalton1970 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Thank you so much Captian Forrest. Very helpful indeed. Wish I was more of a math person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think my boyfriend is going to break up? [ 17 Answers ]

My BF and I have been dating for a year and a half, and have been completely in love and enjoying every minute of everyday in each others company. Just recently he expressed his feeling about sex to me, he stated that he could/would like to have more with me (currently its every other day). I...

Break up [ 5 Answers ]

Me and this guy were both in a relationship but I was crazy about him for months - his girlfriend is completely ignoring him as it seems.. but he was in love with her.. anyway I never showed my feelings I just kept it all in.. But then this one day he made a move on me and kissed me! And then he...

A break [ 11 Answers ]

Well my girlfriend and I at first been going great, we talked we did things together it was all going great, but after a while we stopped talking and just were physical, and when I tried talking to her asking about her day or saying talk to me it never got anywhere, and she says she wants a break...

She wants a break now what [ 40 Answers ]

I had a great evening last Tuesday. We talked and talked. We had great conversation and we both felt connected. Great evening. Once the evening was over she invited me over for dinner at her place the next day. The next day we exchanged emails. Everything was great. I was very busy at work and felt...

Break even [ 1 Answers ]

Sporto Enterprises is considering the manufacture of a new type of golf ball. Each golf ball would sell for $3.75 and would require $1.75 in variable cost. In addition annual fixed costs associated with the project would total $64,000. Calculate (a) the breakeven point in units, (b) the breakeven...

View more questions Search