Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jun 8, 2016, 08:10 PM
    Ceiling fan box not flush
    I'm installing beadboard panels on my ceiling to cover popcorn ceilings. The boards are .25" thick which means my ceiling fan box will not be flush with the new ceiling. I am not able to find any .25" box extenders. I was thinking of using nuts or washers to make up the difference so that the fan brace will be flush with the new ceiling. I wanted to know if there would be any issues with this or if there is a better approach? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2016, 04:48 AM
    Is it a fan rated box? If so, go to HD or Lowe's,they have adjustable extenders. If not, use a fan rated box and space BEHIND the box.

Jun 9, 2016, 05:01 PM
    Yes it's fan rated, I put it in myself a while back. I looked at Home Depot but did not see an adjustable extender, I'll take another look, thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 9, 2016, 05:07 PM
    So this was a rehab installation, did you use the box that is mounted on a thick rod that extends between the rafters?

Jun 9, 2016, 07:04 PM
    Yes, one of the kits that they sell in Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 9, 2016, 07:08 PM
    Remove the box, loosen the bar and drop it 1/4" lower.

Jun 9, 2016, 08:08 PM
    Thanks for the input, I tried that but the bar is already up against the existing drywall and will not go any lower.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2016, 08:26 PM
    Box extenders don't come in different sizes. You use the screws on the extender to adjust the depth. However, there are U bolts on that type of mount. Drop the box, put washers on the back of the box, hold with a little glue or caulk, reset the box flush.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to hang a ceiling fan with no junction box in the ceiling? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to put up a ceiling fan with light kit if there is not an already existing light in the ceiling of the room?

Can this ceiling fan be flush mounted [ 3 Answers ]

Have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with what looks like a 4 or 5 inch rod.. model is AC552 also has an E75795 YL... sku 763693---moving to room with lower ceiling height, fan is about 3 yrs old can it be flush mounted?---Thank you Joe M.

Flush mounting a ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am attempting a flush mounted install of a 52" Hampton Bay "Belmont Baroque" ceiling fan, but am stimied by the absence of paper instructions from HB. As it is now, the fan is screwed tight into a fixed placement...housing to piece that covers the electrical box. I do have an extension rod with...

Flush Mount Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

We are building a house with 9 foot ceilings in some bedrooms. Does anyone have any suggestions for flushmount ceiling fans? I would assume we would need to stay around a foot total, including lamp kit, from ceiling to botton of unit. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old-style ceiling box and ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan. The present ceiling box (if you can even call it a box) is an very old-style cylindrical black hunk of metal with four holes for the wires and a hole in the center through which there is a 3/8" threaded metal rod which supports the "box". Obviously this...

View more questions Search