Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grifval10 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Laptop can't see Netgear wireless router in same room
    I am getting excellent wireless connectivity between (XP Home) laptop and Netgear Router/modem (connected by ethernet cable to my (XP Pro) PC) between 2 floors, but have another laptop (XP Home) in same room as router, which doesn't see router/network, etc. This laptop has an Intel Pro wireless 2200BG adaptor, which I have updated. This wireless connection has worked on a rare occasion, but mostly doesn't. Any ideas? What settings should I be checking. I have all 3 named as WKSTN workgroup. I have changed the channel on router thinking it was on a busy frequency. Nothing changed at all!
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

May 7, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Oddly enough wireless devices does not like to be too to one another... Keep a min distance of 6-8 from the laptop and wireless router & you should be able to get online - I have seen this resolve that issue many times...

P2E
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 8, 2007, 01:14 AM
    You need to check your security.
    The way I normally go about setting up a new wireless connection is;
    1/ DISABLE ALL security
    2/ Get a good solid connection
    3/ Encrypt with WEP or WPA
    4/ MAC filter
    5/ Hide SSID

This lot should do you well.
    grifval10 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 05:09 AM
    Thanks Curlyben,

Can you please help me by explaining how I do points 4 & 5.

Many Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I get internet connect through my wireless router? [ 6 Answers ]

I am on my 3rd router trying to solve this problem originally thinking it was the brand of router. I now have a netgear router and I am trying to run it on Windows XP system, the problem is this: once inserting the program cd into the desktop and loading it up I have went through all the prompts...

Broadband speeds using wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

Sometime ago, I switched from DSL to a broadband cable. I use a Netgear wireless router WGR614v5 (54 mbps) so I can take my laptop into another room. What I am unable to determine is whether the speed is determined by the router or the ISP. I would appreciate your clarification on this...

Is it possible to connect 2 wireless laptops to the router [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I find this wireless connection thing confusing, I have two laptops, one is using an onbourd wireless card whilst the other is using a linksys wpc11 notebook adapter, is it at all possible to wirelessly connect these two laptops straight to the wireless router? Thanks jrh

Use my NETGEAR WGR614 v5 Wireless router as a WAP? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so everyone said this would be easy. The kid at (insert popular electronics store here) said it would be no problem to use my already owned/unused router to set up a WAP that will connect with the other router in the house, so I can 1: hook my vonage device into my router, and 2:...

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

View more questions Search