Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catty123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2016, 02:40 PM
    Noise in house
    Since oct 2015 we have had this constant high pitch/whistle noise 24/7! It gets louder at night so cannot sleep.
    We have had everything "fixed" that needed fixing by electrican & plumbers, turned electricity & water off but noise still persists. Last night I tried to sleep in our summerhouse on chair to get away from it buttttttt I heard the noise outside! I Don't HAVE TINNITUS got that checked in jan 2106

We both hear it & I have recorded it on my phone.
    Getting water board to check for water pipe leaks outside but I don't feel hopeful.
    Has anyone had same problem?? Could it be telephone masts?
    Any answers gratefully received
    Thank you
    Irene
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 2, 2016, 03:07 PM
    See any transformers on any poles at the road? That noise can travel.
    My furnace has a small transformer that buzzes all winter. One reason I turn off the switch for the summer - it's using a small amount of electricity.
    Where in the house is your bedroom (what floor, etc, relative to attic and basement).
    Is there a subpanel for the summer house?
    Any outdoor motion detection lights, etc?
    When you 'turned off the electricity,' did you pull the main?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2016, 06:47 PM
    2 things I would do. Turn off the main breaker and listen-any change? Turn off the water at the street box-any change? Chances are if you heard the noise outside, it's not In your house. Could be something from a neighbor, amateur radio transmission, Force main for the sewer, anything that rotates or has electricity running through it. The noise may seem louder at night but then the ambient noise levels are lowe. Could even be an air transmitted noise from an industrial facility.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2016, 01:42 AM
    I agree, turn off the main breaker, if that makes it silence. Then turn it on,and try one breaker at a time.

And then the water.

I aill also agree, the ham radio or people using other amateur equipment, we used to have voices coming in over our TV (with it turned off) from a neighbor.

Also, is there someone, who is angry at you. There are noise devices that can be used to cause discomfort to a neighbor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whistling noise in house [ 2 Answers ]

There is a loud pitch whistling noise in my walls, at first it was in another room in the wall and now the noise has changed on the same side of the house and into the other room all in less than 24 hours

Crack noise in the house [ 1 Answers ]

My family heard the noise in the house seems like crack or on time clap in all day. It is not regularly interval, I think one or two times during 1 hour in someplace wall. I tried close water pipe, but still ongoing. Is anyone help this situation?

Humming Noise in House [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been searching on Internet for some answers to the new "humming, pulsating sound that has begun to plague my house and cause me countless sleepless nights for the past three to four months. Like some of the other responders, I have turned all the power off to the house to see if that is...

House noise [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I bought our first house this past May. We have our entertainment area in the basement and spend a lot of time there. We've noticed a noise coming from the wall every 30 seconds or so, and it sounds like a thud and then nothing, then again... Thoughts?

Mysterious House Noise [ 33 Answers ]

At loss as to what the mysterious noise I'm hearing in my house is. Have eliminated its relationship to septic system, electric, roof, water main, plumbing fixtures and neighbor's pool equipment. It's hard to tell whether it's vibration that generates the noise or vice versa. With all those...

View more questions Search