Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nukid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2016, 10:31 AM
    1890 house rotted corner stud replacement
    I have an older house around 1890 built with the balloon framing I assume. Two problems, one outside corner and the other an inside corner that has rotted studs. It is a single story house with probably a 10/12 pitch roof. I was hoping to get some idea how to replace or strengthen the two areas. Discovered this when I saw my inner basement wall caved in (about a 4 foot length) and saw the foundation wall leaning outward and the sill not even touching the foundation, which is single row brick. Have since added gutters and built block wall to replace the fallen in section and planning to shore up the wall, floor joists with a double 2 x 10 beam and 4x4's posts on the block wall.
    I used to build houses (framing, siding, roofing) so I should be able to follow suggestions. Any help is appreciated. Oh, I plan on replacing the leaning foundation too.
    Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2016, 12:43 PM
    Posting a picture would be helpful. The simplest thing to do is sister the bad studs. This may require opening the wall, of course, and then repairing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1890 sq foot house how much to replace ac unit [ 2 Answers ]

House is approx 1900 sq feet, replaced all windows cat 5 & heat resistant, dog and myself. House gets hot, ac fan shuts off. Have replaced circuit and motor over last 2 years. Still has problems. How much to replace unit

Stud replacement [ 1 Answers ]

How do replace rotten studs next to a window?

Water Penetration Due to Rotted Wood on Side of House [ 8 Answers ]

For the past couple of days I've noticed a mildewy smell when sitting on my couch in my living room & couldn't determine where it was coming from. I have just now noticed several pieces of rotted wood on the side of my house stretching from my living room to my bedroom (the two rooms are...

How to wire for a outdoor light on corner of house [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire for a security floodlight set on the corner of my house. There is no pre-existing light there?

View more questions Search