Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natashap25 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2016, 05:33 AM
    Rejected from a job?
    I applied to be Student Ambassador at my university. The first time I did not get through ,the second time I was successful,so I completed all my training sessions and assessment centres,however I was recently told in a meeting that I am not yet ready to start working and that I should apply again in November. They very kindly gave back my feedback and said that I definitely have potential,but I need to improve on certain areas.

I just feel a bit disappointed because rejection hurts and I really wanted to be an Ambassador,and I do realize that I need to improve on things but it still hurts.

What is the best thing to do in this situation?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 07:09 AM
    Is this your first disappointment in life? Be assured it won't be your last. In real life you don't get trophies for just being on the team.

What is the best thing to do in this situation?
    Lean to live with it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 07:16 AM
    The best thing to do in this situation would be to make the necessary improvements and reapply in November.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 07:25 AM
    You have the answer right in front of you.

You were given areas in which you could improve. That is a checklist of what you need to do to become a better candidate. So improve in those areas. Reapply.

Khstroud touched on this but a short list of white lies we were told when we were young include, you can be whatever you want to be. That isn't correct, you can be what your abilities allow you to be. Which is to say, for example, if you wanted to be an astronaut. You could do everything right, but if you don't have the ability required, you're just going to face disappointment after disappointment. This isn't to say that you shouldn't try to improve to become an ambassador, but if you're working on it for a long time, you might want to re-evaluate what you're doing.

You're not always going to get what you want. Life doesn't cater to you. You do what you can and deal with what you can't. The wisdom is knowing which is which.

"Lord, Grant me the courage to change that which I can, the serenity to accept that which I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Good luck and keep at it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 08:11 AM
    Work to improve yourself in the areas they suggested and reapply. Being disappointed is a downer, but can be overcome with a little hard work, and not quitting on yourself because of it.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jun 2, 2016, 08:47 AM
    Life is full of disappointments. Everyone has to deal with it. You take it as a learning curve and move forward. Don't dwell on the situation because if you do, you have learned nothing.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2016, 08:51 AM
    When life hands you lemons, a smart person,insyead of complaining they wanted strawberries, will take them and make lemonaide.
    You try for what you like, but since you never get everything you want, you always have a plan B.
    You work to correct your deficiencies as they were pointed out. You try again in November, and if you don't get it then, move on with a new goal.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 2, 2016, 08:53 AM
    I have what I think is pretty thick skin, because I love to argue about many topics - politics, science, church vs state, abortion, just about anything.
    But I still can feel hurt. How many people don't? They are actually kind of creepy.
    You CAN talk yourself out of hurt.
    You already know how. You wrote how. They were kind, and so on. Make a list of the positive parts of this and look at the list each morning.

Kudos to you for trying, but you don't get an award from me until you get the job and succeed at it.
    See you next fall.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 09:17 AM
    OK, all you experts.

I always wanted to be healthy, wealthy and wise.

I am fairly healthy, fairly wealthy.

How do I become wise?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 2, 2016, 10:51 AM
    Early to bed, early to rise.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    OK, all you experts.

I always wanted to be healthy, wealthy and wise.

I am fairly healthy, fairly wealthy.

How do I become wise?
    Experience.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not including it in a fruit salad.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 03:35 PM
    Wisdom is being grateful you are fairly healthy, and fairly wealthy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between job analysis, job description and job specification? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between job description, job analysis and job specification?

10 diffrences in job descriptions job specifications and job evaluations [ 13 Answers ]

Find the points at least 10 of differences between job description,job specifications,job evaluation

Design a job description and job spesification for a hypothetical job [ 1 Answers ]

ABC company has a problem of motivation among their factory floor workers.the management decide to increase the amount of task to be performed by some employees while providing more authority to some of the employees to performe duties.Along with these changes another set of empoloyees werw give an...

If Federal return was rejected is State also rejected automatically? [ 1 Answers ]

My federal return was rejected because a dependent child was claimed on another return for EIC as well as mine. I had filed the return electronically. My NJ state return was filed by mail and I haven't heard anything yet about it being rejected. Now that I've corrected my federal return I owe the...

View more questions Search