Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lori Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2005, 09:23 AM
    Windows xp won't load. Help!
    Hello,
    I don't know much about computers but here goes.
    My mum is having problems with her computer, it hasn't been switched on for 6-7 weeks, when she comes to switch it on it comes up on a black screen with pci device listings.

It won't goany further than this and won't open windows.

I have tried to repair windows with the disc but comes up with exit to quit recovery console and restart computer.

It then restarts and goes bck to the pci device setting page.

Really don't know what to do

Any suggetions
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2005, 11:15 AM
    Lori,

Sorrry to tell you, but this is not good. It sounds like the PC can't complete the POST (Power On Self Test). If this PC is still under warranty call the manufacturer for tech support. If not, you will probably need to take it to a technician for checking.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 12:44 PM
    You should take it back under warranty, it'll be a lot cheaper.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2005, 01:01 PM
    Do you hear any beeps while starting other than the first one? What does the very last line say? Are any lights on at this point such as floppy, HDD, or CD rom? Does it appear the windows disk will let you reinstall windows? If so you can reinstall windows WITHOUT formatting. This has never removed MY Documents folder even though it says it will. Unfortunately you will have to put her programs back in.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2005, 12:39 AM
    Won't load windows
    Hi,
    Your best bet is to take it to a computer sales/repair store near you. Let them check it out and find out what it would cost to repair it.
    If it's more than 5 yrs or so old, you might want to consider buying another one, or a used one a little newer; depending on the cost to repair it.

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with an answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2005, 01:47 AM
    Yeah I forgot to ask myself even how old it is, if its new, like just bought new, the warranty will cover it. If its old and has no warranty do what fredg said, have them fix it or just buy a new one if you don't want to mess with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore front load won't do anything [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore front load model 41741142000. It will not do anything. I had a repair guy come out. He used his ohm meter to trace wiring and no problems. Then he got to the door switch and replaced it with one he had on his truck. He determined the problem was the timer. He said I could easily...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows won't re-install [ 2 Answers ]

My system crashed and so I formatted my 20g hard drive on another machine and then used tried to reinstall windows from the CD. I get this error message " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". I have tried to remove all the hardware...

Cpu load 100% [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, Lately my PC has been running at 100% CPU Load constently. It is the 'System' process that is taking up the load. I tracked it down to the driver ACPI.sys, using process explorer. OS Windows XP Pro CPU P4 2.8Ghz Can anyone think of a way I can fix this problem?

Windows xp won't load/boot [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my windows xp boot. When I try to boot windows I get the screen that says: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. I would appreciate all your help. ...

View more questions Search