Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lalji Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2016, 08:11 AM
    Taxes on foreign interest income after leaving the country
    Atlanta tax expert,

I have permanently moved back to India in March this year after working on H1B visa for 6 years. In 2016, am I supposed to pay taxes on interest income earned in India after moving back to India? I would appreciate a response. Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 13, 2016, 08:19 AM
    It depends on HOW you file for 2016.

You have the option to file as a resident for 2016 and declare all world-wide income. In such a case, you would declare the interest earned in your Indian bank accounts for all of 2016.

OR

You can file a dual-status return, paying taxes ONLY on income earned while in the U.S. The cut-off date would be the day you left the U.S. On such a dual-status return, you would pay taxes on the interest in the Indian banks up to the date of your departure from the U.S.

Since you cannot claim the standard deduction on a dual-status return, it is often better to file as a resident in your last year. Further, the full-year resident return can be filed electronically, whereas the dual-status return must be mailed.

In either case, you must submit a Residency Termination Statement to inform the IRS that you have returned to India and will not be filing U.S. returns after 2016.

If you need professional help with this process, you can email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Georgia State Income tax on interest income earned and received in a Foreign country [ 1 Answers ]

I have two questions related to the above: 1. Do I have to pay Georgia State tax on the interest income earned and received abroad ? 2.Can I claim credit for taxes paid overseas on this interest income?

Foreign Interest income [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Foreign saving account and I have about 8 ( eight ) $ of interest income in whole year I understand that I have to mark yes if I have an foreign account on schedule B But ? Do I have to report this 8$ foreign income on 1040 If yes then where on 1040 Do I have...

Filing you.S. Taxes: Foreign Income Exclusion AND Foreign Tax Credit? Etc. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about how to file U.S. taxes in a way that will give me the most benefit in my situation. Here are the details: 1. I'm a U.S. citizen, living in Japan. 2. I made less than the maximum allowed for the foreign income exclusion for each year I want to file. 3. I...

Foreign country income & NJ income tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I use to live and work in Saudi Arabia. I'm now retired and live in the state of NJ. I receive retirement benefits from my company in Saudi Arabia. Should this be included on my NJ Tax return?

H4 with Foreign Income (after leaving US) Subject to US Tax? [ 6 Answers ]

Basics: Me H1-B entire 2008 Spouse H4 January - August 2008, leaving US permanently (H4 terminated) since September 2008, earned income in Hong Kong September - December 2008 about $60K Question: 1. Can we married file separately to avoid the tax on my spouse's income earned in Hong Kong? 2....

View more questions Search