Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelique Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2005, 03:24 AM
    Norton/system restore
    Hi there,

As a newbie could use some help. My system restore does not restore. When I try to restore to previous setting it appears to go through the motions and then says it cannot restore. I have set new restore dates but it still does not restore. Read somewhere system restore is a useless space demanding utility correct? Mine has never worked and despite a recent crisis requiring the removal of trojan virus I managed well without use of system restore. Surely that was the time if it was of any use that I needed it?

After reading previous threads I have decided to remove norton which is due for renewal anyway, but am wary as I have no system restore and I have never uninstalled such a major programme. System operating is xp pro

Iwould appreciate any suggestions or help. Ty :) :)
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 03:51 AM
    Xp pro, xp home, both are the same just pro comes with more utilities. Well system restore is not a waste as long as you have a drive for it or a partitioned part of your drive for it. If it's a new computer it will have a spot for it. If its older it may not. Or it may not be on, being it can't restore then. Norton smorten, norton ain't nothing but a resourse hog, try zone alarm for a firewall and avg by grisoft av etc. it will be all in the helpful utilities thread up top, but to remove it you can use the program removal utility. System restore for one thing doesn't rid you of viruses etc. it may reset the effects of it but not rid you of it, it's a great thing to do that when desperate or if you did delete a program by mistake, but if you need norton back at any time you can get it from their site at symantec and a free one month trial I believe

Mar 9, 2005, 04:04 AM
    Hi Briggsdude :) ,
    Where is the programme removal utility?
    Do you think shld remve system restore?thnks for info.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 04:16 AM
    I don't think you can remove System Restore. It's just built into Windows.

As for removing programs, go to the Control Panel and there will be an icon for "Add/Remove Programs". You want that.

Removing Norton should give you no problems and there is no need to be wary of it. Just go to the add/remove utility mentioned above, find Norton in the list and hit remove. As for the reason System Restore isn't working, I'm thinking it could be that some piece of software on your PC is accessing something System Restore needs, locking it. Have you run a spyware removal tool like Ad-Aware or Spybot: S&D recently? If not, get a couple! See the link below for some links to a few.

I would get another virus scanner though as Briggs suggested. Find a list of some virus scanners + other helpful programs here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=7286

Hope this helps a little,
    Lee :)

Mar 9, 2005, 04:43 AM
    Hi there lee, :)

I have run avg,spy bot and ad aware all this week. Computer is clean. Thnks for the reassurance will attempt to remove now :o :o . Cheers
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2005, 06:51 AM
    You don't say what Norton product, but if it's the A/V then I would go to symantec.com and search for RNAV. This is a Norton removal tool that will do a more complete job then Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

As for System Restore. I'ver used it and it works fine. But you have to understand what it does. All it does is take a snapshot of certain system settings and stores that on your hard drive. It doesn't do a full backup of your system. If you want that I would suggest using Norton Ghost or something similar.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 07:12 AM
    System Restore
    Hi,
    Here is a link, with very good instructions, step by step, for running System Restore:

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...01189&seqNum=1

Also, if you are interested in a great, free, antivirus program, that you can update weekly just like Norton, here is a link:

http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-E...ml?tag=lst-0-3

Please don't stay on the net, or open any emails without an Antivirus Program running in the background. If you get a virus, you might possibly have to take it to a computer repair store to get it running again.

As far as Spyware, I noticed you have many good programs. Here is a suggestion for one that is free, and stops anything from getting into your computer, without having to scan:

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlast...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with an answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes,
    fredg

Mar 9, 2005, 09:55 AM
    Norton/system restore
    Hi guys :) ,

Thanks to all for your help. I've now successfully removed nortonAV 2004. Everything is so much faster now. Appreciate the advise re antivirus and am in the process of downloading avast! ;) thanks again.

Ps. No balance icons??

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2005, 11:26 AM
    Angelique,
    Glad to help and the balance scale are in the upper right corner of the note. There are thre icons there with the scales in the middle.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 12:31 PM
    see, norton= system hog. Free av's can be better and most are not system hogs. Glad you got it off with ease. Oh and I didn't say remove system restore did I :o at least I don't think so.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2005, 01:36 PM
    Hi there. System Restore can be a hog. Also its usually not effective when you really need it and even when it does work, there are always other programs negatively affected.

To turn off system restore (XP):
    • Right click 'My Computer'
    • Select 'Properties'
    • Click the 'System Restore' Tab
    • Check off the 'Turn off System Restore' box
    • Click 'OK'

Hope this helps. I'm sure system restore has helped someone before, but for me and all the PC's I've repaired, it's never been effective.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2005, 12:47 AM
    Thanks
    Hi,
    You are quite welcome. I am glad it is going well for you, and that your computer is much faster.
    Have a great day,
    fredg
    PS, The balance scales are in the right hand corner by the name. Just hold your mouse cursor over them, and you can read what it says.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2005, 01:44 AM
    Glad to be of service
    Glad to be of any help that I can.

Mar 15, 2005, 02:41 AM
    Hi there, :)
    Just to let you guys know. System restore came to life after removal of Norton :rolleyes:ran cc cleaner to pick up leftovers, speed is the word, lol thks againxxxx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System Restore [ 1 Answers ]

I have WIN XP, Service Pack 2. When I go to System Restore, there are no earlier restore points to go to. I have always had earlier points to choose from. Is there something wrong with the program? Thanks.

System Restore [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya Shipmates Got a problem and hope someone can help. When a restore point is created on my Pc, either manually or when using Windows update, the bold date has gone the next day. System restore IS enabled, I have well over the minimum 200Mb of disk space that is recommended, have Ad-Aware,...

System restore xp [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to restore my computer to an earlier date,but every time I try , the computer goes through the motions, but always comes up with the result "Computer can not be restored to this date" Any help Please

System Restore [ 3 Answers ]

My Restore folder is taking up a ton of space (almost 13 GB of my 20 GB drive) and I'd really like to get rid of it. Is it safe to delete this folder? Edit: I'm on Windows Me and I've already tried turning system restore off.

System restore win ME [ 3 Answers ]

My windows ME system restore facility will not run , and only tells me that I need to restart my PC first . After restarting it still does the same , I think there is a virus behind all this , please help.

View more questions Search