Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dennis2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2016, 05:31 AM
    Can I safely extend an electrical cable for cubicles
    We have about six cubicles up against a wall in an office building. I am taking the 2 on one end apart but the first one has the power fed into it from the base of the wall from a hard wired box. Since I'm taking the first 2 stations apart,the electrical cable will not be long enough to reach to keep the other ones powered. Can I extend this cable in any way or do I have to get a longer one and wire it into the box on the base of the wall?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 11, 2016, 08:09 AM
    It is not that simple. First, changing the design of the cubicle may cause a code violation. Certainly, it would be a product design problem.

Are all of the cubicles being connect to the same branch-circuit? Is the branch-circuit a 15 or 20 amp branch-circuit?

Can the branch circuit carry the load of these cubicles? From your description it seems as though you already had these cubicles installed and working, is that true?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2016, 08:42 AM
    If you're located in the United State it's likely that you are not legally permitted to do electrical work unless you are
    appropriately licensed. The liability involved here is not trivial.
    Why not hire a licensed electrician and let him decide how best to approach this...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 11, 2016, 01:08 PM
    I agree with hfcarson. This sounds like a very simple task. If you have to ask how to do it you are not qualified to do it and most likely not permitted to do it.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 11, 2016, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis2010 View Post
    Can I extend this cable in any way or do I have to get a longer one and wire it into the box on the base of the wall?
    It's actually very easy. Just get on the phone and call a qualified electrician. He'll make quick work of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is ser electrical cable [ 5 Answers ]

What is ser cable and the application its use for

Can telephone cable and television cable put in one electrical conduit [ 5 Answers ]

Can telephone cable and television cable put in one electrical conduit?

Electrical Cable [ 1 Answers ]

What are all the Type tests and Routine tests doing in Heavy Duty Electric Cable(1100 V), and also Testing Procedures of above tests? What are all the Type tests and Routine tests doing in XLPE Cables and also Testing Procedures of the above tests?

Three meter cubicles [ 2 Answers ]

Is it necessary to use the isolator with this cubicle

How to extend electrical cable? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to move an existing cable for a bathroom vanity. The existing light is a strip light so the cable comes through the middle of the wall to the middle of the fixture. The new light will be 18" to the right of the current location but the cable isn't long enough to be re-routed. Is there a...

View more questions Search