Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billyrage7777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2016, 08:50 AM
    If I pay rent for someone else can I deduct it on my taxes?
    If I pay rent for someone else can I deduct it on my Taxes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2016, 09:01 AM
    You cannot deduct the rent directly from your taxes.

However, if you are paying rent for a blood relative and their income is low enough, you MAY be able to claim that relative as a dependent.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 5, 2016, 01:03 PM
    Paying rent for someone is a form of making a gift to that person. You can't deduct the cost of Christmas or birthday presents to your friends or relatives, nor can you deduct the cost of other types of gifts such as this.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2016, 01:04 PM
    Ebaines raises a valid point.

Also, if the accumulated cost of the rent you pay exceeds $17,000 in a calendar year, you may need to file a gift tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I deduct taxes for my rent since I pay my mortgage in another state? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a sole-proprietor independent contractor (sch c) and pay my mortgage for my home in Florida. My business is in NYC and I pay rent for the apartment. Ive been trying to sell the business but the economic situation has prevented it. In the past, I have just been filing taxes in NYC and paying...

Deduct rent from super-commuting [ 1 Answers ]

I've been working at a job and renting a place in CA while my primary home is in WA, where my wife and kids are (we decided not to relocate to CA). Can I deduct any of the rent I pay for this "super-commuting?"

Can I deduct my property taxes in Brazil from my Income Taxes in US [ 1 Answers ]

I own to propterties in Brazil and pay property taxes in Brazil. I have no Income in Brazil. Can I deduct my property taxes paid in Brazil on my US Income tax return please?

Pay Mortgage in one state, pay rent in the state I work in. Can I deduct rent paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY from California in late July of '07 to start a new job. My wife was originally going to move out with me, but has been unable to gain employement in NY. The new plan is for me to move back to CA in the next couple of months. We own a home in CA for which we pay a mortgage, and I pay...

Can we deduct anything on a rent to own home on our income taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are thinking about renting to own his deceased Grandmother's home. His mother is the sole owner. The home mortgage is paid in full. She will charge us no interest, keep the insurance and property tax in her name but we will make these payments for her. Can we claim anything for...

View more questions Search