Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

May 4, 2016, 05:22 AM
    Road Allowance / Property Line?
    This past Winter our Neighors Son bought the Property on our Right, while our Neighor already owns 47 acres behind us... With the Snow melted and all the Paperwork Notorized.. With the Existing Survey Pegs visible a New Survey Peg has popped up on our side of a row of mature Spruce Trees.. That could present a problem legally speaking 8 yrs after we Bought our piece of property?

But what my Query is , Assuming this New Peg could be Accurate? There is a Ditch running along the Front (Roadside) Taking in the Road / Township Allowance which I believe is 18ft in from the Centre of the Road covers the Ditch.. Eyeballing the New Peg our Laneway entrance , one side (Retaining Wall) is on Their Side.. If Push Came to Shove from the Neighbor would we be Held Responsible to move the Retaining Wall??

Location is Eastern Ontario, Canada
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 4, 2016, 05:41 AM
    It is interesting that you somehow wrote most of that in title case instead of sentence case. Either you wrote it in Word with the case set to title case, or the rules are different in Ontario (joke).

Seriously, I would first check with a surveyor to see if the peg is accurate.

Assuming that it is, were you aware of the newly-discovered peg before the sale occurred? If not, I would check to see what the statute of limitations for adverse possession is in Ontario (You suggest that it might be 8 years).

In any event, I don't expect that you could be required to move the retaining wall; if it is determined that it is on your new neighbor's property it would be for him to move if he so chooses.

May 4, 2016, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I would check to see what the statute of limitations for adverse possession is in Ontario (You suggest that it might be 8 years).

In any event, I don't expect that you could be required to move the retaining wall; if it is determined that it is on your new neighbor's property it would be for him to move if he so chooses.
    The Reference to 8yrs , We bought our Home in Sept / 07.. Upon Purchase there was an Existing Cedar Hedge between Properties (Backyards) fall of /08 we erected a ready made Home Depot Fence along our side of the Cedar Hedge T-Shaped dividing our Front & Backyard...

Our HD Fence and the New Peg by Eyeball line up.. My Reference to a possible problem in the future come as We are Planning to put our Son down on the Ownership Papers.. My Concern was the Laneway Entrance which is in the Area of Road Allowance thereby a Township Issue if need be ie: Culvert Pipe.. The Retaining Wall does have a Bit of a Lean to it.. It's one less Job for the Annual To Do List if We can avoid it until it falls over... lol...
    Expert

May 4, 2016, 10:46 AM
    This link suggests that the equivalent period to what American lawyers would call an adverse possession SOL is 10 years. If the law in your province is similar to the law here, however, you could "tack" your period of possession on to that of your predecessors, to make the full required period.

As I said before, first you should contact a surveyor to advise you as to whether the pin you recently found is accurate. You should also contact an attorney in your jurisdiction regarding how good a case you might have. The attorney can probably tell the township whether there is an "issue" there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2016, 04:08 PM
    As AK has said, the first thing you need to do is get a surveyor to establish the property line.

May 5, 2016, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As AK has said, the first thing you need to do is get a surveyor to establish the property line.
    Thanks for the Comeback.. We will be Questioning the Neighbor Tonight.. We're Curious as the Survey for the Property behind us and Ours shows Feet & Inches , Whereas the Son's Survey (I'm Told) shows Degrees??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2016, 05:15 PM
    You need perhaps, just to get a new survey done, on your own, to help settle issues, unless they decide to make an issue of the properly line.
    It may not be anything, except they did this upon buying the property, something I always do.
    Expert

May 6, 2016, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    Thanks for the Comeback.. We will be Questioning the Neighbor Tonight.. We're Curious as the Survey for the Property behind us and Ours shows Feet & Inches , Whereas the Son's Survey (I'm Told) shows Degrees??
    A "metes and bounds" description of property will typically show both:
    • "metes" in distance, such as feet & inches;
    • also used in property descriptions is the direction (north, south, east, west) each "leg" of the survey goes, typically in degrees, minutes, seconds, etc. West, for example would be 270 degrees, 0 minutes, 0 seconds. In the survey you are looking at, it might be slightly off: 270 degrees, 3 minutes, 12 seconds, for example.

Or, they could use decimal fractions of both: 93.16 degrees, 560.26 feet, for example.

May 7, 2016, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You need perhaps, just to get a new survey done, on your own, to help settle issues, unless they decide to make an issue of the properly line.
    It may not be anything, except they did this upon buying the property, something I always do.

@ AK Lawyer). Thanks for The Comebacks... We Compared Surveys, All is Good.. My Concern was the Retaining Wall on one side of the Laneway Entrance to our Property, looking at it with Naked Eye from the Property Line.. It is over the Line, but I'm told my Query falls in the Area known as Road Allowance therefore it's up to the Township to Question?
    Expert

May 7, 2016, 09:04 AM
    @ AK Lawyer). Thanks for The Comebacks...
    You are welcome.

... We Compared Surveys, All is Good.. My Concern was the Retaining Wall on one side of the Laneway Entrance to our Property, looking at it with Naked Eye from the Property Line.. It is over the Line, but I'm told my Query falls in the Area known as Road Allowance therefore it's up to the Township to Question?
    So you are saying that a part of the laneway entrance, and the retaining wall, are on your new neighbor's property? If the recently discovered monument ("peg") is consistent with all surveys, it suggests to me that the laneway and retaining wall were built without much caring whether they were on your side of the property line or not.

If it's within the road allowance (i.e.: public right-of-way), it may not be either your or your neighbor's property anyway. That would depend upon whether the road allowance is considered to be a dedicated easement or owned by the township in fee simple.

So the township probably won't care; because it shouldn't make any difference either way. And thus your neighbor probably doesn't have any good reason to object if you go ahead and maintain the retaining wall.

May 7, 2016, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    You are welcome.

So the township probably won't care; because it shouldn't make any difference either way. And thus your neighbor probably doesn't have any good reason to object if you go ahead and maintain the retaining wall.

Back who knows how many exact years @ Least 3 previous owners on both sides , the original Property Line was a row of Cedars Spread out in the Front and Tighter in the Back to look like a neat hedge.. lol.. The previous Survey Marker was A Painted Wood Stick.. Soooo Nature of the Beast through time and weather the stick had wobbled a couple inches this way & that way... lol... @ AK Lawyer, in keeping with the old saying we'll "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie".. When the Piggy Bank is Busting at the Seams we'll Straighten Up the Retaining Wall, Cheers Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage interest and housing allowance for foreign property [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a dual US-Bermuda citizen living in Bermuda with a Chilean wife. Only I work and we recently bought a house in Bermuda. I receive a housing allowance from my employer. Can we deduct both the housing allowance and mortgage interest on the same property, or should we rent a second property to...

Property lines of a closed county road [ 3 Answers ]

How do you distinguish property lines after a county road has closed , and who gets what? Our neighbor had a surveyor come out and has taken total control of the old road and has a sign posted that claims as much at the entrance to the road.

Unregistered property on private road [ 3 Answers ]

How can you find out who owns a unregistered property on a private road

How deep should a septic pump line be under a road in Maine [ 0 Answers ]

Putting in a new leech field which is across road from house,so just pumping liquid. How deep should line be and I think I will hit ledge before 4' and I'm in Maine and it's a town road so frost will be deep.

How do I claim an unowned portion of road adjacent to my property? [ 3 Answers ]

I currently live in the last house on a dead end private road. Historically, according to old tax maps, the road and surrounding property were owned by one individual. After selling off all lots on the road, this individual turned over ownership and maintenance of the road to its residents. My...

View more questions Search