Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aleles Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2016, 02:48 PM
    Co-owner income while on H4 visa, 1099?
    Hello,

I'm a co-owner of a company and on H4 visa. Can my company pay me assuming I'm not doing any work for them and issue me 1099 with non employee compensation? If not, is there any other way to get paid?

Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 3, 2016, 04:41 PM
    If you get paid under either Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC, the IRS and the State Department will consider that earned compensation, and you will be in violation of your H-4 visa. The IRS will NOT care, but the State Department WILL care when they find out about it, which they will be cause the IRS WILL tell them.

The ONLY way to receive compensation is as a passive/limited partner of a partnership (meaning that you do NOT work for the company, you only provide capital) or as a passive shareholder of a corporation. Then the income is INVESTMENT income and not in violation of the H-4 visa.

You MAY want to consider getting permission to work from the U.S. State Department.
    aleles Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2016, 05:58 PM
    Thank you for the quick reply! How would the company report this income? Instead of 1099, should it be a K1 or something else?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 3, 2016, 06:02 PM
    The K-1 would be used by either the partnership or the corporation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I liable to pay SS/Medicaid taxes on F1 visa status for 1099 income in 2013? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an F1 visa student (since 2012) with 1099-Misc (Schedule C) income in 2013. After claiming all deductions ($13000 income minus $6100 minus $3900 minus $4000 tuition credit) , my taxable income was Nil (net loss). When I tried to e-file, it showed an estimated 1800$ in social security/medicaid...

Rental Income - Got 1099-Misc but reported it w/out the 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I did my taxes through turbo tax and when it came to the part about rental income it asked me if I receievd any income that was NOT reported on a 1099-Misc. I said yes and put the amount in. The problem is that I forgot that I did actually get a 1099-Misc form on the income. Do I need to file...

Georgia unemployment income and 1099 income? [ 0 Answers ]

My husband collected unemployment benefits in GA for 2010. He also received a 1099 from commission he received from a previous business he represented. I know it has to be reported on the state and federal income tax forms but he did not report it while on unemployment. What does he need to do?

Owner sent me 1099 instead of W2 [ 12 Answers ]

Hello everyone... I was an employee for this private owner for the last 4 years, I had my w2 in 2005,2006,2007 I decide to quit on him last August... he kind of didn't like it... I used to make 12,500 per year... now he sent me 1099 form with amount of $48,000.. I tried to contact him... the guy...

1099-MISC income while on H-1B Visa [ 5 Answers ]

Is it legal to have a 1099-MISC income while being on H-1 Visa? The income is derived from a web based business to while the individual is affiliated but not an employee of. The profit earned by him is reported on a yearly basis as a 1099-MISC that is sent to him by the company. Is this legal? Will...

View more questions Search