Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notmeatall Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2016, 07:11 AM
    Determining sign of derivative
    I'm confused about if it is possible to determine the sign of the following derivative:

where

Is it possible to say that the derivative is positive for small ?

Half my brain think the following must be true for positivity:
    that is, the percentage decline in should exceed the increase in

Thanks for any input in advance :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 5, 2016, 05:18 AM
    Sorry, but I think you've made a number of errors in your formulas, so it's impossible to follow along. For example, from the first equation it appears that there is a variable called "ak," and you are taking it's partial derivative with respect to y. Which implies that the ak is a function of more than one variable - perhaps y and x? But in that first equation you also refer to the partial derivative of "yak" with respect to y - are you referring to a variable y times a variable ak? Then later on you refer to the partial derivative of ax with respect to y - so are there three variable here: x, y, and ak? Finally at the end you refer to the partial derivative of y with respect to y, which doesn't make much sense. Please clarify.

May 5, 2016, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Sorry, but I think you've made a umber of errors in your formulas, so it's impossible to follow along. For example, from the first equation it appears that there is a variable called "ak," and you are taking it's partial derivative with respect to y. Which implies that the ak is a function of more than one variable - perhaps y and x? But in that first equation you also refer to the partial derivative of "yak" with respect to y - are you referring to a variable y times a variable ak? Then later on you refer to the partial derivative of ax with respect to y - so are there three variable here: x, y, and ak? Finally at the end you refer to the partial derivative of y with respect to y, which doesn't make much sense. Please clarify.
    Thank you for answering, I will try to make it more clear what I am asking.

That is, a(y) and k(y) are functions of y.
    Is it possible to unambiguously determine the sign of the derivate wrt. y of the product: y*a*k?

What I know is that we have:

I think the answer is no, but under what circumstances is it positive?
    We must have that the percentage decrease in ak is smaller than unity for the increase in y to dominate right?
    Expert

May 5, 2016, 05:37 AM
    OK, this helps. But one more question - in this equation:

do you mean

or do you mean

May 5, 2016, 05:45 AM
    I mean this:

Expert

May 5, 2016, 06:08 AM
    No, the sign of can not be determined. Here's an existence proof:

Suppose a(y) = 10 - y and k(y) = 10 -y^2. Both of these have derivatives <0 at both y = 0.1 and y = 1. And is less than 0 at both those points as well. But the value of

is negative for y=1 and positive for y = 0.1.

May 5, 2016, 06:28 AM
    Thank you, that was really helpful.
    But I really want to say as much about the sign as possible :)
    Is the following correct?

assuming y close to unity.

if

that is, the elasticity is not too large to a change in y. ak changes less than y.

The direct increase in y then dominates the indirect effect from a*k right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Derivative [ 1 Answers ]

dp/p+dv/v=(1-r)dv/v its next step is dp/p+rdv/v=0 can you please tell me urgently that how zero come in rhs??

Derivative for ln(x) [ 6 Answers ]

How do I find the Derivative for the Function. Thanks.

How the Derivative need to be [ 3 Answers ]

I got this Function 6/2radicallxl-1? the x is into Absolute value and is into the radical. I need to show the Derivative of this Function . hope you Understand me :) thanks

Derivative [ 1 Answers ]

4e^(x^3+3x) + 3x things in parenthesis are an exponent

Second derivative [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am wondering how to differentiate an equation when I have a power of x and a constant in the denominator, for example: y=a/(e^(x+b)+c), where a,b,c are any number bar zero. I could do it easily without that c there, but this has me stumpped.

View more questions Search