Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2016, 08:42 AM
    Obamacare Penalty
    The penalty is predicated on the household income, rather than the individual.
    3 people live in the household, but only two have income and health insurance. The son is unemployed without health insurance. Who is not on the income statement. When they file will they be charged the penalty because of the unemployed son for not having health insurance?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2016, 09:18 AM
    Yes, because he IS a member of their household and presumably their dependent.

If he is NOT a dependent, i.e. he files his own tax return, then he may qualify for an exemption due to his low income level. If not, HE pays the penalty on HIS tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obamacare 2.0 [ 440 Answers ]

Health Insurance Brokers Prepare Clients For Obamacare Sticker Shock - Forbes Yeah it's the greedy provider's fault that they have to double rates to cover all the mandates in the plan. Yeah the Obots were slick making sure all the low hanging fruit ;all the carrots like allowing your kids...

Obamacare penalty overseas [ 4 Answers ]

I live overseas and am what in legal terms they call stateless. If the insurance is state based and I am not a resident of any state how can I qualify for insurance? If I can't get insurance will I be assesed the IRS penalty for not having something I can't get?

401-K Early withdrawal penalty and 10% penalty added to Income as well line 58 Tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! My question is: I added the 10% penalty on line 30 of form 1040 to my adjusted gross income on top of my taxable amount of my withdrawal... Next I added the 10% penalty on line 58 (additional taxes on withdrawal), which was then added to my total tax amount. Is this the correct way to do...

Besides the annuity penalty does the IRS add penalty for removing money [ 1 Answers ]

I am removimg money from my 401k plan & the annuity is assessing me a 8% penalty. Is the IRS going to penalize me as well or is it just categorized as ordinary income?

View more questions Search