Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hugostrange22 Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2016, 03:20 PM
    Quantum Physics, Double Slit Experiment Question?
    All right. So Basically I'll sum this up quick, someone told me that it's not the observer or the equipment that interpreters with the matter going through the slits, but the actual recording or comprehension.

In other words, he was claiming that you could leave a recording device to watch the experiment, have it on, and not record, and the results would show an interference pattern. Only when you recorded it, or watched the experiment play out, would the results change to a two line pattern of matter.

So let me write a few scenarios and see what you would think.

1) What would happen if you just watched the experiment, without equipment to view it. Sort of like looking at blank space, because the experiment is so small. Would that result in two lines of matter because you viewed it, or no, because you didn't actually see the physical actions happening?

2) What if you recorded it, but didn't view it. Then had someone destroy it, while you looked at the results physically, after the experiment had occurred. Would the results change depending on when the tape was destroyed? Would the results always be two slits of matter because it HAD been viewed at some point, just not comprehended by a person. I'm having trouble understanding this.

3) What if someone viewed the footage, and then was immediately killed, the film destroyed, and then the experiment was viewed physically to see what had happened? Would it be two slits of matter?

Can you guys see what I'm getting at? I'm not a scientist, take it easy on me :) Sorry if these questions are dumb.

Thanks in advance!
    hugostrange22 Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2016, 04:44 PM
    Nobody?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 2, 2016, 06:15 PM
    "I'm having trouble understanding this". You're not the only one. Double slit?
    Double slit - Physics: Problems and Solutions - Wikia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics slit separation [ 0 Answers ]

Laser light with a wavelength lambda = 680 nm illuminates a pair of slits at normal incidence. What slit separation will produce first-order maxima at angles of +/- 45 degrees from the incident direction? I need to find the distance in terms of {\rm \mu m}. I tried to work it out and got...

Double slit Experiment [ 2 Answers ]

Can the double slit experiment be scaled up. I read it could be performed with molecules.can it be scaled up towork with say smoke or machine gun bullets

Single slit diffraction experiment [ 1 Answers ]

In single slit diffraction experiment,if violet colour is used instead of red colour then what will happen?

Young's double-slit experiment [ 1 Answers ]

In a Young’s double-slit experiment, a set of parallel slits with a separation Of 0.100 mm is illuminated by light having a wavelength of 589 nm and the interference Pattern observed on a screen 4.00 m from the slits. (a) What is the difference in path Lengths from each of the slits to the...

Double-slit experiment [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I could preform a Double-slit experiment? Thanks:)

View more questions Search