Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lauryd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2016, 03:33 PM
    OWE taxes but got an WC settlement
    I just received a workers' comp settlement check. However, I owe back taxes and I'm on a payment plan. Can the bank notify the IRS to see if I owe back taxes and can the IRS take my check.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2016, 03:50 PM
    Probably, unless you can proof to the IRS that you need that workmen's compensation settle to live on.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 18, 2016, 03:51 PM
    First, please don't piggyback your question on another thread. Your question has been moved to it's own thread to avoid confusion.

The bank will not notify the IRS unless there is a standing attachment order. But if there is or the IRS becomes aware of it, they can attach the account.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2016, 09:06 PM
    The money you receive, if it is owed and to be paid to to debts it is for, may be exempt, the other money is income basically often for loss of work and other costs. And that is open (and actually should be paid) if they have a garnishment on you.

Also if you don't report it, and work it out with them, this could even call any deal off you have with them because of what they will deem as fraud on your part, getting incomes not reported.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owe taxes again... please help [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I seem to owe federal taxes every year. We both claim 1 allowance on our W-4. Our total wages from our 2013 tax return was $153,000. We both work full time jobs and seem to not be able to get any credits because we "make too much". My question is should I choose 0 allowances? I am...

How much taxes I owe [ 1 Answers ]

How do I figure out the amount of taxes that I owe?

Owe taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How much do I owe the IRS?

I owe taxes from 2006, I was self emplyed. How much do I owe now? [ 6 Answers ]

I did a little thing over 3 months of summer (I was 18) I was doing landscaping. I got a letter in the mail, saying I owed on the money I make. I have no idea how much I have to pay I am freaking out. I made 11735.50 in 2006, and In 2007 I worked off and on I made 23232.89. I was self...

Early Withdraw - 401K Taxes Paid vs. Taxes Owe [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I took a early withdraw from my 401k last year after leaving my job. I had 30% withheld for Fed. Taxes. I am getting ready to have my taxes prepared. I have several questions. 1. Was 30% enough? Does 10% penalty still apply? 2. I live in the state of IL. Will I owe state taxes? ...

View more questions Search