Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Apr 14, 2016, 11:23 AM
    Toilet Tanks Interchangeable?
    Can one put a 3,5 or 5 gallon tank on a 1.6 gal toilet? Some septic systems need more water to complete a flush.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 14, 2016, 11:39 AM
    Size of toilet tank has very little to do with what septic system needs. Toilet - tank and bowl - are sized so water from tank empties waste into the main sewer pipe and down the slope to septic. If you are experiencing problem with solids accumulation in your septic than buy a bag of bacteria and introduce it into the system.

Generally speaking, toilet tanks are not interchangeable, especially between brands. If you have 1.6 gal a flush bowl and install 3.5 gal a flush tank on top of it - you may have a problem. Water saving toilets have smaller trap pipe than 3.5 gal. Not sure what that will do when flushed

Actual tank on 1.6 gal toilets still holds about 3.5 gal of water. It is the flopper that is adjusted the way, so it closes quicker. You may try to adjust the flopper. If not adjustable, buy regular flopper that fits 3.5 gal flush toilets and try to install that one

High water use toilets are not allowed to sell and to install anymore. It is a federal mandate. . You could find and install used toilet - but again, I don't think toilet is the cause of your septic problem

Lets see what other Experts have to say

Hope that helps

Milo

Apr 14, 2016, 11:55 AM
    Thank Milo. I don't have a problem, I have 2 old American Standard Tanks and was wondering if they have any value. I,E. Yard Sales. They are just sitting outside upside down maybe they would make a good flower pot. I went with the new 1.6 gal ones. Also you can get more water by holding the handle down right?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2016, 02:12 PM
    They are giveaways on Craigslist, that's what I do. FREE TOILET.

Apr 14, 2016, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    They are giveaways on Craigslist, that's what I do. FREE TOILET.
    Figured. Some people will want you to deliver it too. Not a good idea to have anyone to come to your house. Last time I sold something on Craigslist, I arranged to meet them at a McDonalds, safer that way, the way things go now a days.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 14, 2016, 03:33 PM
    Try putting one (or two) of these on the flapper chain to keep the flapper open longer.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 14, 2016, 07:00 PM
    I totally agree, that tank is not your septic problem. Maybe you should tell us what you believe is wrong with your septic first. Also, how long have you had this toilet and did it ever flush better? I am thinking you may have a partial clog in the drain or vent.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 14, 2016, 07:36 PM
    Hello Catonsville: As said above, majority of people do not want used toilet. It is health issue. Usually, we'd throw away such toilet.

Yes, if you hold handle longer, it will "double" flush. Or, do as Harold suggested, lower that blue plastic foam float downward to accomplish exactly the same effect - but on one handle push

Hope that helps

Milo
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2016, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Figured. Some people will want you to deliver it too. Not a good idea to have anyone to come to your house. Last time I sold something on Craigslist, I arranged to meet them at a McDonalds, safer that way, the way things go now a days.
    I just set at the curb and they disappear.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 14, 2016, 08:38 PM
    Well, I have all 3.5 gal flush and you are not getting any of them. I have an extra one in my shop that just collects dust. I am keeping it just in case I ever need a toilet.

Apr 15, 2016, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Well, I have all 3.5 gal flush and you are not getting any of them. I have an extra one in my shop that just collects dust. I am keeping it just in case I ever need a toilet.
    See "Different Strokes for Different Folks"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do new american standard toilet tanks fit older(1975) toilet? Tank looks the same. [ 1 Answers ]

Do new american standard toilet tanks fit older (1975) toilet? Tank looks the same.

Speaking of leaking toilet tanks... [ 6 Answers ]

In our spare restroom, the tank cracked in two places. We emptied the water, but I'm stalling on replacing it now. One crack originated by the flush handle, the other part way down from the other side, but not all the way to the bottom. We used a strong tape just to keep it from cracking further,...

Toilet tanks not filling with water. [ 3 Answers ]

Both of the toilet tanks in my house stopped filling with water this morning. The water pressure from my faucets is fine, and since it's both, it wouldn't appear to be a problem with the toilet hardware, so I'm at a loss as to what it could be. Any ideas?

Help: Toilet tanks too FAR from wall. [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks so much for this site, it is very informative! We are about to close on a new construction home. This house is located out of state, and we just discovered that the 3 toilets have been placed 2½", 4½", and 6" away from the wall. The builder said they were placed that way because of the...

View more questions Search