Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nvmore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2016, 11:04 AM
    Do I need to file tax for NJ as a F1?
    I worked full time with my OPT in New York City in 2015. I stayed in NYC from Jan to June and moved to New Jersey and stayed there for the rest of the year. I did not earn from New Jersey state.

For federal tax case, I should file as a resident alien since 2015 is my 6th calendar year in US using F1 visa. But I think the residency rule is different when filing state and city taxes.

In this case, should I file state and city taxes for New Jersey state? If so, should I file as a resident, non-resident or partial resident? If not, how should I file tax for New York state and NYC? (Note the company already withheld all my state tax for NYS.)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2016, 06:23 PM
    You will file as a part-year resident of New York state AND NYC, then as a non-resident for the rest of the year.

You will file the New Jersey return as a part-year resident. You will owe NO New Jersey tax because you get a tax credit for the taxes paid to New York, and New York's tax rates are higher than New Jersey.

If you need professional help preparing the return, please email me at the email address in my profile.
    nvmore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2016, 08:56 AM
    Give the residency rule for NYS at https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/pit_definitions.htm.

I can claim that I'm a non-resident for taxing purpose in NYS as my permanent home address is out of US and I do no intend to have it as my permanent home address, similar for NYC and NJ state.

Also should I even file a tax statement for NJ state if my permanent address is out of NJ and I did not earn from NJ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2016, 06:36 PM
    Yes, you CAN do that. My error.

Yes, you can do that. My error!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I do not file taxes, but received tax form 1099 are, do I have to file a tax? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on SSD AND DO NOT FILE TAXES, but I received a form 1099-R showing fderal income taxwithheld for $4093.00 on my pension that I Received.Do I HAVE TO REPORT THIS SINCE THEY TOOK IT OUT Already or do I have to file some kind of form to the IRS. This is the only income I'vd received other than my...

How to file FICA tax? (I was a non-resident alien for tax purpose until last year) [ 7 Answers ]

Hello experts. I read some similar posts from last year, but I'm still confused, so I'd really appreciate it if you could help me. I'm a F1 visa holder with an OPT work permit. I was a non-resident alien until last year, but it seems that I'm considered as a resident alien for tax purpose this...

H4 Visa: 2007 Tax Filing Status - To file or Not to File [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H4 from 2006. Filed tax for 2006 using ITN with my spouse(H1) as Joint Return. My spouse wants to do Married filing Separately FOR 2007. My question is for 2007, 1) Do I need to file a separate return in spite of lack of income(H4) ? 2) Or do I just leave it as such and not file at...

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

Document to File prooving exemption of NY State tax and the Federal tax: F1 Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts' Hi What should my employer file, to exempt me from Federal and state tax, I am in NY, and live in NYC, My Visa status is OPT... F1 JazZ

View more questions Search