Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2016, 07:50 AM
    Brake Pads Due??
    We have a 2013 Chrysler 200 with 65,000km.. We live in a Rural Setting so for the Most Part it's all Highway Miles.. My Query is, What is the Average Distance (KM's) One should expect to get out of the Front Brake Pads? We're both pretty good on Braking Easy.. lol... When we had the Snows put on last fall the Dealership told me to plan for a Brake Job in the Spring... Front what I can see with the aid of a Mirror is at least a 1/4" of Pad left before Metal.. Thoughts Appreciated, Cheers Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2016, 08:17 AM
    Always look at both inner and outer pads. They don't always wear evenly. As well as left and right side of vehicle.

Average life can vary significantly from vehicle to vehicle and driver to driver.

At 1/4" I'd replace them this summer before the weather cools off. You are also getting down to the range an inspector might decide to fail the vehicle.

I look at stretching the last few miles out of a set of brake pads as false economy. Because if you get caught short... you will then need calipers (you ALWAYS do those in pairs)... as well as rotors (I believe in doing those as pairs as well). On top of just a set of pads.
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2016, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Always look at both inner and outer pads. They don't always wear evenly. As well as left and right side of vehicle.

Average life can vary significantly from vehicle to vehicle and driver to driver.

At 1/4" I'd replace them this summer before the weather cools off. You are also getting down to the range an inspector might decide to fail the vehicle.

I look at stretching the last few miles out of a set of brake pads as false economy. Because if you get caught short... you will then need calipers (you ALWAYS do those in pairs)... as well as rotors (I believe in doing those as pairs as well). On top of just a set of pads.
    @smoothy... Thanks for the Quick Comeback.. Gone are days to Turn / Shave Rotors, they tend to whorp.. I know they run about $70/$80 ea.. We're planning a Trip to Toronto maybe 700km Return.. Then change over to the All Season Tires and get the Brakes Done at the sametime...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squeaking brake pads [ 3 Answers ]

New brake pads fitted twice by garage but still squeaking like a doudle decker bus my car is a rav4

Changing brake pads, LeSabre [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to get the calipers off to change the brakes on my 92 buick lesabre. Thank you

Mazda 6 brake pads [ 1 Answers ]

I've just changed the front brake pads on my 2005 Mazda 6. The new pads are Pagid pads. The pads that I removed have metal plates (shims?) on the back but the new pads don't. The new brakes appear to work fine but now I'm not sure whether I should have taken the metal plates off the first pads...

Changing brake pads JK [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to change the brake pads in my 2007 Jeep wrangler JK, 2WD, and notice that when I lift the jeep, and the wheels are off the ground so as to remove the wheels, the wheels do not rotate 100% freely. The brade pads are still touching them slightly. The same for the rear wheels. I believe...

Brake pads and caliper for 93 accord [ 2 Answers ]

I am attempting (first time) to replace brake pads on the rear of my 93 honda accord. I got everything off and it seems pretty straight forward. My problem is I can get the caliper piston retracted. I have tried turning it with a pair of needle nose pliers and I have tried a big c-clamp. The...

View more questions Search