Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robynlawrence16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    i am a mother of five and a lovin person that is very outgoing

Apr 11, 2016, 08:46 PM
    2004 f250 diesel
    Battery isn't charging as it should and now when trying to crank it is barley starting
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2016, 05:23 AM
    Alternator would be the first choice. Auto Zone, Advanced and others will check it at no charge.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2016, 05:39 PM
    Regulated battery voltage should be 14 to 15 volts, with the engine idling. If it's low, the voltage regulator may be bad. On many Ford diesels, they are external and are very easy to replace. They are typically held on by only three Torx 20 screws. This could save you a lot of money.

If the voltage regulator is internal, simply remove the back cover and loosen the three Torx 20 screws securing the regulator. I would also clean the battery terminals and cable connections; fully charge the battery, which most auto parts stores will do for free, too. Failure to charge the battery can burn out a new or rebuilt alternator. Alternators are battery maintainers, not chargers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2004 F250 6.0litre diesel [ 1 Answers ]

My 2004 f250 6.0 diesel makes a humming noise when you turn the ignition key on, and also when you turn the truck off. What might cause this?

2004 f250 diesel [ 1 Answers ]

I have f 250 diesle and it does not want to start when the engine is cold. It will finally start after you spray either in the air system but it seems to be starving for fuel or air. After it starts and gets warmed up it runs good. I think that it might be the turbo. What do you think?

Ford F250 2004 6.0 Diesel problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel. Had a problem with cooling fan coming on when towing my fifthwheel. Coming home from a trip the fan kept coming on and off. Also the tramsmission started to shift bad. Had to let my rpms drop to shift and it would work at times and sometimes not. Was using the...

Would it be better to use synthetic oil in my 2004 F250 6.0 diesel. [ 1 Answers ]

Would it be better to use synthetic oil in my 2004 F250 6.0 diesel? If so should I use 5W40 or 15W40? Thank you

2004 F250 diesel won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Problem started yesterday, kept trying and it eventually started, ran very rough for 30 sec with lots of black smoke and then started / ran OK for the rest of the day. Today it is worse and will not run for more than 1 sec. Replaced both fuel filters, plenty of fuel in the filter canisters. I am...

View more questions Search