Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AskMe5780 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2016, 07:01 PM
    Can a shower drain rough-in be used for a sink/ice machine?
    There is a 2" pipe coming out of my concrete slab where a basement shower was supposed to be with a glued in trap below the slab. I'd like to use that drain for a sink & ice machine. Can I connect the sink directly to the 2" (with a sanitary wye) and no trap? What about connecting the ice machine's drain directly to the 2" also?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2016, 07:27 PM
    You will always need a trap anytime you connect to a septic or city sewer. Are you planning on a p trap under the sink before it goes into the 2". You may need a vent but one was probably included in the shower setup.

Apr 10, 2016, 07:57 PM
    Thanks for answering, ma0641.There is a trap in the 2" below the concrete slab. Here's what I was thinking:1. Install a sanitary tee close the floor. Glue a 90 off the tap, and then put a snap in 2" drain fitting into the 90. Attach the ice machine's gravity drain just above this drain opening.2. Extend the 2" up to another sanitary tee/reducer and connect a 1-1/2" p-trap to the sink basin.3. Extend the 2" up to just below the countertop and cap it with a 2" vent.Sound like a plan?Thanks!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 10, 2016, 07:58 PM
    Is this in a commercial place ?

Apr 10, 2016, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Is this in a commercial place ?
    No, it's in my home.
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 10, 2016, 08:03 PM
    How close is the shower drain to the new sink location ?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 11, 2016, 04:10 AM
    How far is the sink and the drain going to be from the shower drain? If not over 5', you will probably be best to install a 2"x4" increasing coupling to the 2" shower drain and indirectly drain the ice maker and the sink INDIVIDUALLY into the drain. Here, the ice maker could have a 1" drain and the sink could have an 1.25" drain... both connect above or just slightly into the increaser coupling.

In this way, the sink drain and the ice maker drain can't cross contaminate, right?

Mark

Apr 11, 2016, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    How far is the sink and the drain going to be from the shower drain? If not over 5', you will probably be best to install a 2"x4" increasing coupling to the 2" shower drain and indirectly drain the ice maker and the sink INDIVIDUALLY into the drain. Here, the ice maker could have a 1" drain and the sink could have an 1.25" drain... both connect above or just slightly into the increaser coupling.

In this way, the sink drain and the ice maker drain can't cross contaminate, right?

Mark
    The sink is literally right next to the shower rough in.

What about connecting the sink to the shower rough-in directly and setting up a separate open drain for the ice machine? Would I need a trap for the sink, or can I use the trap that's below the slab?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2016, 10:19 AM
    Need an air gap from the ice maker so it can't siphon back. If there is a p trap in the floor, you don't p trap under the sink. Depending on your local code, double trapping may be prohibited.
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 11, 2016, 11:09 AM
    Agree. Icemaker drain cannot be connected directly to sewer drain. It has to drain via "open drain", just like in commercial kitchens. That's why I ask you that question before
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 11, 2016, 12:40 PM
    Both the ice maker and the sink need to connect indirectly to this shower drain... otherwise, the sink would be considered unvented. Use the increaser at the shower drain I mentioned and run separate drain lines from the ice maker and the sink and install so you have a small air gap between the drains and the increaser.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  22.0 KB

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a shallow shower drain. We have bought a above foor rough in and shower with [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a shallow shower drain for above floor plumbing

How to join a cast iron rough-in drain to shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post. I have done some searching and not finding a way to do this. I have a cast iron rough in drain that I would like to join to a new shower drain. I have already taken out a rough mortar bed that was underneath a prefab shower pan. I will be building a new mortar bed...

Drain backing up into shower,sink and toilet when washer machine goes into spin cycle [ 0 Answers ]

When my washer machine goes into spin cycle, water backs up into shower,sink and toilet. What could be the problem I'm facing?

Rough in sink drain height [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling the bathroom in the basemnent and would like to know what is the standard height for a sink drain rough in?

View more questions Search