Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klmnt5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2016, 11:50 AM
    Step-children
    I live in Arkansas. My father died a few years ago. He had been married to my step-mother for 50 years. They had no children together and she has no other children. The only living relative she has is a sister and a niece and nephew. What are my rights to her estate in the event of her death?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2016, 01:21 PM
    None. Unless your step mother adopted you, you are not her descendant. Therefore her estate (unless she leaves a will) will go to her sister and her sister's children.

http://law.uark.edu/faculty/buehler/...nheritance.pdf
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 29, 2016, 01:50 PM
    Was there a will? If not then you may still have a stake in the property.

This is something that a lawyer in that feild of expertise will have to look at and explain to you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 29, 2016, 02:09 PM
    You say step mother. She was married to your father for 50 years. You don't mention your age. Did she ever legally adopt you?

Does she have a will?

Whatever is in her will, goes. Unless she legally adopted you, you won't be able to contest the will and win. IMO.

If she did adopt you and then left you out of the will, you could contest it claiming the rights of a child. It won't be quick, it will be costly, and you may lose, but you would have a legal right to contest.

If she has no will, and didn't adopt you, then her estate goes to her family.

Did your dad leave you anything when he passed?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2016, 08:09 PM
    As Alty asked, did your dad leave you anything when he passed? Did he have a will or did he die intestate? If he did not have a will, you should have inherited a portion of his estate. If he left a will, leaving everything to his wife, then the estate will be distributed per the terms of her will, or per Arkansas intestacy laws, which do not inherit a step-child that was not adopted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2016, 11:25 PM
    You have no rights what so ever, unless you are named in a will.
    I am assuming you were not adopted by her at any point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step children's rights to step father [ 3 Answers ]

My step father is piling up medical bills from his condition and will be needing possible nursing care along with credit debt, he never adopted legal ,he married my mother, my question is am I legal liable for his medical bills n possible nursing care, I know now not responsible his credit debt n...

Do step-children have legal rights to mothers estate if step-father is still alive [ 1 Answers ]

My mother died Oct 17.2013, she left behind 3 grown children. Our step-father did not give us any of her personal property or anything else. They weren't wealthy but they did have a home and a savings account and a lot of furniture,etc. Is my mother biologial children entitled to anything?

Duties of Step Mother towards Step Children [ 2 Answers ]

After my divorce I re-married. The women a married has never had children and I have brought into this marriage 2 children from my previous marriage. My children are all grown up i.e 20 and 23 yrs old but are still students. Before marriage my children and my wife got along but since being married,...

Do step-children have legal rights to step-fathers estate with no will [ 25 Answers ]

My father married a woman with 4 grown children and they were married for 29 years. She died in Jan of 2008 with no will. He passed away in October of 2008. He also left no will. There are 2 children of lineal descent from my dad, me and his son. Now these 'children' have taken us to court saying...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search