Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tubby885 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Sending a fax with a PC.
    I want to use my laptop (Toshiba L20/Windows XP,ISP:NTL)to send faxes by cable.
    What type of modem do I need?
    Do I need to buy or download any software?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    BenReilly Posts: 55, Reputation: 6

May 9, 2007, 02:19 AM
    You can either go with a PCMCIA Modem or an external Modem connected via USB or Serial Port (provided you notebook still has one) PCMCIA is more convinent for notebooks and better portable since it resides in the slot in your notebook. Anyway, all of the plain 56k modems should do the trick (its mostly says on the packaging fax compatibility). Nowadays I haven't run in a modem that won't fax yet. To the Software, you can use the programm that comes with XP >> go Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add / Remove Windows Components >> check the box Fax Services and Install it. It will install a Printer Driver as well which you use to print the documents you want to fax, after printing the Fax dialog should automatically open. To configure fax (for example for incoming faxes) you have to go into Accessories >> Communications.
    Personally I don't like the Windows Program it never did would it should and then stopped working completely. I used the trial version of MightyFax for a while
    MightyFax - Fax Software for Windows (easy to use and did what it should for me) but most modems have a fax software included you might want to try that as well before you go out and buy something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sending Faxes from MS Outlook and the Fax Console [ 3 Answers ]

I can send a fax cover page (no attachment) from the MS XP Fax Console and select the recipient from the Address Book. Works great. When I try to send from Outlook it always dials "1" before the Area Code which isn't acceptable to "some parts" of Area Code 503. Stupid phone company! OTOH,...

Fax software [ 7 Answers ]

I am looking for a fax software program so that I can receive a fax on my computer. I have cable internet service which may make a difference? I want to get rid of my fax telephone line as it is a rip off: way too expensive. I have looked at some of the free fax programs on line, but am unsure...

Fax machine [ 2 Answers ]

Have a simple question. If someone can help me please!. I have a fax machine. Can I hook it up to my regular phone line and still use it to receive calls and fax?. I guess I want to know if a fax machine can tell the difference between an incoming fax and a phone call. I;m worried about why fax...

Fax/copier/printer [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I do not know if this post will end up in the right spot-I am trying to buy a fax/copier/printer that is compatible with a mac osx easy to use-etc Any suggestions between a canon a brother ?I have a small business - mostly send pdfs but need to replace an old Brother- Thank you

View more questions Search