Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexhas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2016, 11:15 PM
    Dual State Residency Requirements in the state of Georgia
    I own a home in the state of Florida & Georgia. I file my taxes in the state of Fl. My mom lived in the Ga. Home year round, after my retirement in 2008, I started living in Ga. 8 months of the year. After my mom's death in 2013, the city & county taxes on the home in Ga. Increased due to the homestead exemptions taken a way. I meet the age requirement, own the home since 2000, but does not meet the residency requirement because of my Fl ID. When I tried to file, I was told I had to proved I have been a residence for 5 years. However, the Ga. State Code for filing for this exemption doesn't specify what documents are needed to show residency to file. I was denied an application.

Question- Can I have dual residence in the state of Ga. And Fl. And filed for homestead exemptions with the city & county of Warner Robins, Ga,(Houston County)?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2016, 07:02 AM
    You do NOT want to get the homestead exemption, because doing so automatically makes you liable for Georgia state income taxes.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 30, 2016, 05:43 AM
    And just to add - there is no such thing as "dual state residency." For tax purposes you are either a resident of Florida or a resident of Georgia, but not both. I suspect that as ATE intimated you would prefer remaining a FL resident to avoid GA's income tax, but be aware that in general states determine whether you are a resident for tax purposes by determining which home is your "principal abode," and that determination is based on a number of factors, including things like where you spend the most time. Obviously it is in GA's best interest for them to claim that you are truly a GA resident so they can tax your income. Based on what you've told us I would argue that they would have a good case, since for the past 8 years you have been living in GA at least twice as many days/year as FL. GA would argue (and rightly so) that GA is your principal abode and FL is your vacation home. I would recommend that if you want to continue to be a FL resident for tax purposes you start spending less time in GA and more time in FL - at least 6 months plus 1 day each year in FL. This is precisely why so many "snow birds" who have residences in the north as well as FL make it a point to spend at least 6 months + 1 day at their FL residences each year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2016, 09:35 AM
    Once again, ebaines covers the topic with details that I did not consider. You can never go wrong folling his advice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to establish dual state residency [ 9 Answers ]

I own a business in the state of AZ and a branch of that business in the state of CO. My business statutes from both states require me to be a resident in both states if I want to work. I earn monies in both states and I am in AZ for 2 weeks and then in CO for 2 weeks. I cannot actually work in CO...

Dual State Residency [ 2 Answers ]

My father-in-law (retired ) wants to move from Las Vegas to Md due to ill health (dementia ). He is a long time Nevada resident but former resident of Md. His adult children live in Md & he needs their help as his disease progresses. He currently owns his own house in Las Vegas but is willing to...

Dual state residency [ 7 Answers ]

I am a flight attendant and work out of CA. I'm from CA but moved to IL and commute to work (via airplane). I want to keep my residency in Ca -I still have my car there and use it to get to and from my crash pad (moms house) for work. I also want to have residency in IL since I live here now. How...

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

View more questions Search