Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    E182631 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2016, 11:58 PM
    Pairs of Squares Puzzle
    In the equations below, A through G are all distinct positive integers. Solve for X and Y.9925 = A2 + B2 = C2 + D2E = C + D - 128F = (B + D) - (A + C)G = C - DX = 14 - 12D - 10C + 63AY = 7D - 35C + 26B - 2 (This is not homework. It's a geocaching puzzle. I'm not sure how to approach it, and am seeking assistance. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.)
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2016, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by E182631 View Post
    In the equations below, A through G are all distinct positive integers. Solve for X and Y.9925 = A2 + B2 = C2 + D2E = C + D - 128F = (B + D) - (A + C)G = C - DX = 14 - 12D - 10C + 63AY = 7D - 35C + 26B - 2
    Since this is your homework and not ours... show us your work and what you got for an answer.

Mar 26, 2016, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Since this is your homework and not ours... show us your work and what you got for an answer.
    It's not homework. It's a geocaching puzzle, and I wasn't sure how to approach it. I don't expect it to be solved, but some suggestion about how to go about it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to those willing to offer a constructive response.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 28, 2016, 08:55 AM
    There seems to be an error in what you wrote. This part: C^2+ D^2E= C + D - 128F can't be true if C, D, E and F are all positive integers. The reason is that C^2 > C and D^2 > D for all positive values of C and D >1 (and we know that that C and D are not both equal to 1). Hence the left side of the equation is greater than the right side assuming E>0 and F>0. Please check that the problem as you wrote it is precisely as it was given to you.

Mar 28, 2016, 04:18 PM
    Perhaps I didn't space things out correctly when I typed the question initially since I had a limited amount of space to type. I'll post them in sections.

In the equations below, A through G are all distinct positive integers. Solve for X and Y.

9925 = A2 + B2 = C2 + D2

E = C + D - 128

F = (B + D) - (A + C)

G = C - D

X = 14 - 12D - 10C + 63AY = 7D - 35C + 26B - 2

This is exactly what the problem is showing me. Thank you for your help.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 29, 2016, 05:51 AM
    This is better, although I do find there are two possible solutions.

I'll give you a hint to get started. First, notice the problem states that unknowns A through G are all positive and distinct integers. Also note that the unknowns A, B, C and D are the really important ones - you need to know their values in order to determine X and Y. The unknowns E, F, and G only serve to help you figure out the values of A through D by requiring that they are positive integers. So to get started you need to come up with possible values for A. B, C and D, based on the first two equations:

and

It turns out that there are only three possible combinations of integers whose squares add to 9925. One of those pairs must be (A,B), another is (C,D), and the third pair is not used. You must determine these three pairs of integers and try them with the equations for E, F and G and see which combination(s) give you positive distinct integers. For example the equation limits C and D to being only one pair of the three possible pairs of integers - otherwise E would end up being a negative number. And from you know that C is the larger value of the (C,D) pair. So now you know the values of the (C, D) pair, and can figure out which is the
    (A, B) pair by trial and error (there are only 4 possible combinations to try). So - go ahead and get started on finding the three possible pairs that satisfy the first two equations, and post back if you are still having difficulty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rows, circles, horseshoes, groups, pairs, face-to-face pairs, back-to-back pairs, pub [ 3 Answers ]

Seating arrangements Rows, circles, horseshoes, groups, pairs, face-to-face pairs, back-to-back pairs, public meeting, wheel shape, buzz groups, opposing teams

Astrology pairs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello to all of you. Id like those who are interessted to share info on their signs matched with their partners, and how we view them (works well/not, What is needed to make it work well) I'll start with myself. I am a gemini man who is dealing with a scorpio woman. I find that the match works...

Probability in Pairs? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay.. here is the question: We have 8 pairs of white socks, 9 pairs of black socks and 11 pairs of blue socks in a box. What would be the minimum numberof schols we need to take out of the box to ensure we get a pair of the same color (you can not see what color you are picking out of box. ...

Pairs of forces [ 4 Answers ]

I do not understand this. Newtons 3rd Law claims every force is met with another opposite and equal force. Why then when I punched a spackle wall it breaks?

View more questions Search