Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eucresiam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2016, 08:04 PM
    My boyfriend has never bought me anything
    I've been with my boyfriend for more than four years, he has never taken me out or bought me anything. I spoke to him about it and he keeps saying he will improve but nothing is happening. I love the sex but it doesn't look like this relationship is going anywhere, I don't want to lose him but at the same time I'm worried if he really loves me.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 23, 2016, 08:21 PM
    He loves the sex as do you, so you have that in common, but after 4 years I guess you got as good as he will give. I am amazed you put up with it for 4 years though, as many would not.

Why do you?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 23, 2016, 08:23 PM
    4 years and you've never been out or received a gift? You're being used. If that's enough for you, then stay. If you want more from a relationship, find someone who treats you better.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 23, 2016, 09:34 PM
    This is just something for you to think about in making your decisions for the future. If you stay or if you leave, take heed of the lessons you are learning about working with another person to build a mutually satisfying relationship.

When you have discussed this with him has he given any reasons for not taking you out or bought you anything? What is your definition of "going out"? Going to see a movie? Sitting in the park watching the clouds? What do you expect him to buy? Gifts? Food? Has he ever given you gifts that were homemade or that you, at the time, didn't consider a gift?

Have you taken him out or bought him things as a way of showing him how you want to be treated?

Do you spend time together without having sex? Cuddling while watching a movie? Talking about anything and everything? Talking about where you see the relationship going?

I will note that you haven't said how old you both are or what your financial situations are or even if you have different expectations on what a date is. (Does he like to stay home while you prefer leaving the house?) Because individuals have different opinions on gifts and going out, it is something that should be discussed and an compromise found. If you have tried to work together on finding a compromise (not just you telling him you want him to take you out or asking for gifts) and he still considers taking you to the bedroom "going out" then it isn't a relationship. You need to decide why you are still in it.

Do you love him or do you stay with him because you are used to him being around?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2016, 01:53 AM
    Sounds like a great sex partner, now you need a boyfriend. This guy is not a boyfriend. If you do not go out on a date, you are not "dating"
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2016, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Sounds like a great sex partner, now you need a boyfriend. This guy is not a boyfriend. If you do not go out on a date, you are not "dating"
    Yes indeed!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 24, 2016, 01:39 PM
    He won't miss the water til the well runs dry.

Tell him straight out how you feel - not so much about gifts and going places as about the FUTURE together. It might be a stereotype to say that women think in terms of their clocks ticking, but sometimes stereotypes are just plain reasonable. After 4 years of a sexual relationship between 2 young people (you are young?), it's reasonable to be well on your way to some deep discussions about how you feel about children, spending, homes, places, relatives, customs, wishes and hopes.

If he balks, ignores you, mumbles vague promises, or otherwise just won't sit down for a really long talk, then you need to be prepared for how you will withdraw. Anything from "I need a break to decide my next course of action" to "Goodbye, I want more out of life." Whatever you say, MEAN IT, and don't fall for sweet talk. And that means NO SEX.

If I'm way off base and all you care about are gifts and restaurants, my apologies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I bought my boyfriend a wedding band!! [ 12 Answers ]

Okay... so we have been engaged for a year now and we set a date... We haven't picked his ring out yet so I went and bought one to surprise him! I need to think of a special romantic way to surprise him with it here was one of my ideas. I was going to put a note on the door so he would see it when...

X boyfriend wants the car he bought for me back [ 2 Answers ]

my now x boyfriend gave me a car and now wants it back I have a text saying "The jeep is yours no strings attached I will send you the paper work so you can register it in your name" he paid $2500 for it I lived with him and left with only y clothing and the Jeep he said take it I bought it for you...

Me and my boyfriend bought a house now he wonts me out what is my rights [ 0 Answers ]

OK me and my boyfriend justpast the 6 year mark. We bought a house 6 years ago the house went in to his name because I was going through a bussness shut down . I DO HAVE THE POWER, PHONE, DISH BILL CAN HE KICK ME OUT .

Girlfriend bought boyfriend a truck. [ 4 Answers ]

My good friend's ex girlfriend came into a settlement and bought herself a car. My friend traded in his own car and she the rest she paid outright for him for a car also. He has never paid her nor was paying her back ever talked about. The title is in his name. They broke up recently and she...

Boyfriend just bought a house.not invited [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are both in our early 20s. When we first met, he was living off a savings account and was on the verge of getting kicked out of school. We have been together for three years now and over the three years, I hooked him up with a fantastic job where he now makes 60k a year (as a 24...

View more questions Search