Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    devla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 12:24 PM
    1099-MISC for F-1 Student
    Hi
    How does an F-1 student file taxes on 1099-MISC income. The income is around $2900. The tuition fees paid for the 2006 year is around $30000, all from student loans. No interest was paid on the student loans in 2006. Can the tuition fees be claimed as deduction? As it's 1099-MISC, standard deductions don't apply and it turns out the I owe about $500 in taxes.

This doesn't make sense.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 12:34 PM
    You claim the Form 1099-MISC income on Schedule C, which is filed wth Form 1040NR.

You CANNOT claim any tuition credit or deduction as a non-resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

1099-Misc, F1 student, multiple states [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am a F1 student on OPT, who lived in Pennsylvania till mid August 2006. I graduated, got a job as a contractor, and moved to Cleveland, Ohio for three months. After that, I was in Tennessee for a month, after which I quit the job. I received a 1099-Misc from my employer for my pay...

F1 Student India 1099-MISC [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an f-1 student from india. I am working on campus and at a company under co-op. I changed my co-op employer in October 2006 and they have given me a 1099-MISC form. I have also recievd two w2's from my university and previous co-op employer. My income from w2's is $29000. The...

Dependent student paid with 1099-MISC [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is a 20-year-old full-time college student and as such can still be claimed on my taxes as a dependent. On her own taxes she checks the box that she can be and has been filed as a dependent to someone else's taxes. In past years all of her part-time employment has been recorded as...

View more questions Search